PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Sarah
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
... which proves the point of these study aids, that the more learned can pass on opinions to those who are trying to learn. Of course no one knew what was in Dickens mind when he wrote these novels, the same can be said for Shakespeare's plays or Byrons poetry, but those of use who have chosen to study a particular author in depth can probably make a more educated assumption than most. The tone of how he expresses the assumption is irrelevant surely! One of the main points of literature, like most forms of art, is opinion and what you the viewer choose to see and what ideas you choose to form.

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
perhaps it's just me, but i often found the author of this analysis to be quite pretentious and obviously trying to pose as the intellect...<br>My point is, no one of us knew Dickens, no one of us KNEW what he meant when he wrote it, so who of any of us could say what is what to any degree? <br><br>My worldly advice, Dearest Scholar: For I'm most gracious for your so factitious lessons and care, but I need no potato metaphors whilst reading Dickens, do pray, my kindest Sir!

<b>Our Response:</b> I know its not mentioned but this analysis was actually written by <a href = "http://www.online-literature.com/chesterton/">Gilbert Keith Chesterton</a> who is probably the most well known Dickens scholar in history.