PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Gatsby .. :)

jackie
10-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Hi ! :)

Could you help me with the following questions ? :

1. Groups of characters in the book according to traits of similarities or differences. Give examples from the text which have made us establish such connections between them.
2. Which of the characters develop in the course of the story and which remain static. Give valid reasons and arguments to support our opinion.
3. To point out instances of violence and abuse. Who are the offenders, who are their victims? What are the abusers motives for resorting to aggression? What is their inner conflict and do they feel remorse?
4. To compare George and Myrtle with Daisy and Tom: moral values, conduct, dreams and desires. Support your standpoint with examples.
5. How is the family envisioned in the novel? Does it foster growth and advancement, or is it a bondage of desperation or wealth or maybe, a unit which nurtures growth and wholesomeness? Supply valid arguments for your conclusions.
6. Аnalization of the type of parties described in the book and the predominant atmosphere of each one.
7. Elaboration on the obvious and subtle reasons for Gatsby’s death. Is Gatsby’s murder justified? Define Tom and Daisy’s conduct with respect to the car accident and Gatsby’s ensuing death.
8. Nick finds a man connected to Gatsby and asks him to come and pay homage to Gatsby at the funeral. Who is this man? How is he connected to Gatsby? Why doesn’t he go to the funeral?
9. Description of the role of the owl-eyed man. How does he affect the novel even though he may be briefly mentioned?
10. Colours play a symbolic role throughout the book. How do they heighten our experience ?

Emil Miller
10-26-2012, 06:20 PM
I can only suggest that you read the book and then try to answer the questions as best you can. I sympathise with your plight because we often have similar requests on this forum and the questions given in exam papers are so badly stated that the examiners, for the most part, need to go back to school. I have read this novel many times and would still have difficulty understanding the abysmally framed questions.

jackie
10-27-2012, 02:27 AM
But, help me, please, because I have difficulties understanding the book and answering the questions ...

Charles Darnay
10-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Start with what you do have and we can help you from there. But if you are having a hard time understanding, this is something to be brought up to your teacher.

I will also offer some sympathy, because these are awful questions that don't reflect well on the book.

kelby_lake
11-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Tell us what you do know about the book and then we can help you from there. It's hard to tell you what something means without knowing your prior knowledge of the novel.