PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

douglas lunn
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
For English writing poets, Milton is THE Boot-Camp. Walter De la Mere confessed that he had never read Paradise Lost. No wonder he was led by elves, fairies and all that other stuff perhaps most of us hated in the school curriculum which was called 'poetry'. <br>I dont think this epic could be understood unless one has read, understood and appreciates the Bible.<br>Milton did all those things This at least 'a' key to his excellence. Others being, and this is so important, his mastery of Greek but, I would guess, particularly Latin.<br>His understanding of the psychology of Satan is in a sense inspired. MIlton explains the workings of Satan's mind. And he would have not reached such great heights if he had used Satan an allegorical way, merely as a comment on human greed, ambition and pride. Milton's achievement here is masterful and quite puts modern psycho-waffling to shame. <br>Some have complained that Paradise is too heavy, too hard to understand. But that may be for the usual reason that 'truth' whether simply stated or complex in description and explanation is often unpalatable and brushed aside as 'too hard'. It IS hard, but not impossible. <br>To get back to the poetry - if you fancy yourself as a writer, let Milton be at least one of your mentors. <br>Finally, as far as the recognition of truth is concerned, I found it strange but significant that one web site with copious quotes, left out "And thou great spirit, that dost prefer, before all temples, a heart upright and pure"