PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
09-27-2002, 01:00 AM
you stupid? john miltons work is a master piece in the english language!you are trying to criticise a masterpiece and you cant even spell the word "based!"

Unregistered
11-23-2002, 02:00 AM
It's usually a good idea to check your spelling - especially when you are writing about something literary...

Unregistered
12-19-2002, 02:00 AM
What's wrong with Frankenstein? Hell, that's one of the best books i read in high school. I enjoyed it much more than the Scarlet Letter or the Mayor of Casterbridge. Milton is, in my opinion, a bit too heavy for the average high school English class to do justice to. They often have enough trouble deciphering Shakespeare, or in what appears to be your son's case, Frankenstein.

Oh My The Genius's
02-06-2003, 02:00 AM
You stupid?............hhhmmmmm are you asking this person if their name is stupid or if they are, indeed, stupid, as in dumb? If you must throw stones please do not live in glass outhouses ok bubba?<br><br>Second reply.........."when you are writing about something literary"..............tsk tsk ..............wouldn't it be better if you typed:"when you are writing something literary".................and the "usually" should be omitted as well from the first line " It's a good idea............" <br><br>oh the genius's at this site!!!!!!!!

Unregistered
02-06-2003, 02:00 AM
Proper spelling helps when criticizing great literature. By the way, Mary Shelley's novel is entitled "FrankENstein."

Sandy S
04-15-2003, 01:00 AM
To the original poster, <br><br>I'm currently writing a paper on PL and I couldn't agree with you more about Milton's density! I think it would be smart for high school teachers to at least familiarize their students with Milton's poetry, as well as prose, early in their academic career. That way they wouldn't be sitting in front of their computer with a super sized cup of coffee trying to come up with a thesis for a paper due in less than 12 hours! PL is such a beutiful read but even my Professor begins and ends every lecture with the reminder that it has taken HER several years to master Milton, further stressing the fact that we should keep up with our reading assignments. And since everyone who has posted a reply seems to think they know everything about literature, I should mention that she has been a Professor at UC Berkeley for about 20 years now and would probably laugh at you all for harping on the silliest typos. With a writer as complicated as John Milton, shouldn't you have something better to analyze, like the construction of Pandemonium, for example, than to act as a human spell and grammar check???<br>

Meredith
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
I am a high school student and during the school year I have read both Frankenstein and Paradise Lost. Both are of equal literary value, and both were written for different reasons. Milton, who believed that an angel was whispering this novel into his ear at night, wrote this work to explain the works of God to man. If you really believe that Milton heard God, more power to you, but amid all of his out there references he is writing a book, just as Shelly was. Shelly's novel started out as a horror story amongst friends and became a full blown novel with encouragement. Shelly was a Romantic author (no not a romance novelist) meaning that she looked to nature to find God's hand in the world, she included this thinking in her literature. Milton involves God more deeply in his own works and adds nature in it. Frankenstein is a good book to read to understand the Romantic age in literature, and the type of literature that comes out of that time period. It is good to read Paradise Lost to understand many references that can be find in literature following Milton's novel, plus its always cool when you can use a reference from Paradise Lost.

Unregistered
03-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Learn how to spell if you're going to talk about education

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I too think that Milton's book is a hard one to read and understand the full meaning of it but, I feel that it should In schools rather than Frankstien. My son (being in high school and reading Mary shelly's greatest book) expresses that, it doesn't really serve the purpose very well. I feel that our schools high school education should be baced on this book.