PDA

View Full Version : I love it

sujata
09-16-2002, 01:00 AM
This book is great when i started to read it i didn't want to stop reading. This book is not my very favorite book but it's ok and it's great how colin and dickson and mary hang out around the garden the garden's picture is great i just love flowers so i wished there could be a garden i like that .. i espasely wanted to see the lovely roses and all the other flowers that the book has on the picture, it looks great it almost seems that the picture is real..... well i enjoyed reading this book i hope there is more books like this.

GEORGE RAMILE
09-18-2002, 01:00 AM
I don't know either what year the story takes place, but i really like the story. really inspiring!

michelle
09-20-2002, 01:00 AM
i just want to say that your comment was great. i love this book and i can't understand why someone wouldn't. and if they don't i don't think they have a sense of artist depth. well that is it i don't know what else to say.<br><br>

Billy Swift
10-06-2002, 01:00 AM
So far, the Secret Garden has been a great book. I am only on chapter 6 but I love it!

Unregistered
10-23-2002, 01:00 AM
I think that the book takes place more on the line in the 1930's I guessing on this

Unregistered
11-23-2002, 02:00 AM
I also had to read this book for school. however i did not enjoy it because oi could not really get into it. please would somebody explain to me hoe the character of Mary changes throughout the novel and why they think that hodgson burnett has included such a transformation.

Unregistered
11-23-2002, 02:00 AM
A lovely story. Thanks for sharing.

Unregistered
12-19-2002, 02:00 AM
i think your replry was good

Bea
I am a Hungarian woman and reading books on foreign languages is sometimes a difficult but challenging task. The Secret Garden is not just a book that is easy to read but also a book that takes me back into my childhood and although I am an adult now, it reminds me of those oh-so-sweet days which I want to remember all my life. Every time I read the book I discover something new in the story and something really old and forgotten in my childhood. This book would be on my desert island top-ten-list.

Unregistered
The story took place in 1906

mIA
02-28-2003, 02:00 AM
TARA u were right it was boring at first but got a hell of alot better! thanx for the tip.

marchelle
03-01-2003, 02:00 AM
thanks for giving me an idea

akia
04-15-2003, 01:00 AM
Yes, the musical is based on the book, although there is some liberty taken. For instance, although many of the characters die of the cholera in the prologue, they appear as ghosts or memories or dreams throughout the play. The music is very very beautiful and I highly recommend the show to anyone who enjoyed the book! The musical can be purchased through Barnes and Noble at the following site: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?sourceid=00002218955900849226&ISBN=155936047X&bfdate=04-14-2003+16:29:23

Unregistered
04-17-2003, 01:00 AM
The secret garden is ok so far. Im only on chapter 10 and so far its not to entertaing. Im not saying its dum because its not. I have read better books than this. I like its alright

stacey
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
the story takes place in 1911

jessica
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
It is not the best book I have read so far. The best books I like are by Jacqueline Wilson.

Kelly
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
I thought you would like to know that the musica of the Secret Garden impacted me greatly during my undergraduate theatre studies. One of the classes was a dramatic productions class. That particular semester, the class was only girls. We were putting on a production of The Ugly Duckling by A.A. Milne. During our vigorous work days for the production, we virtually lived off of the Secret Garden's beautiful music. Truly, it inspired us girls to create growth and beauty for our small play...and it caused us to grow closer to one another. The music and lives within Burnett's redemptive story continues to affect many! Thank you for lending your voice to it as well.

Jade
02-11-2005, 04:39 PM
I liked this book very much because it is very moving and it gets your attention when you start reading it. I would recommand it to other people. So you other people start reading The Secret Garden!

Loy
04-27-2005, 10:35 AM
I disagree because i think that when reading the book it is more rewardng when you reach the end. The film is over in a couple of hours but the book can last for weeks. I think it is the best book i have ever read too!!!

Julie
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Hi, I had to read this book for school. I HATED IT!!!! The Yorkshire accent is so annoying to read. I think that your summary of the book is real good, but i just hate the book.<br> Thanks.<br><br>

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I think if you're going to say you hate the book you have to say why, is the only reason because it challenged your reader skills?

Samantha
i thought that the Secret Garden was a spectacular read with a great storyline. it was a realistic book and it truly touched me. i feel that i have been a better person since i read this book. it makes you feel as if you need to read it again and again and again. i just hope that everyone who reads the Secret Garden will enjoy it as much as i have in my emotional hours of reading.<br>

Unregistered
the secret garden is a fun story about a girl how have lived in india.after her perents daid , she leaves india.after that she lives with her uncel.we fallow her in a big place in yorkshire. i love this book. But i hate when they talk yorkshier

Unregistered
The secret garden is a nice book becuse it is very simple and easy to understand.I had to read this book for school but i personally enjoyed it.

anne
The book is beautiful. Check out the Hallmark adaptaion of the book. Lovely Brittish countryside.

Unregistered
An extremely sensitive story about how life can be enjoyed; or spoilt by narcissm which is caused by sadness and lack of love

sheri
Yes, the musical of the Secret Garden is based on the book and if you can get to see it, do! If not, buy the CD of the Broadway production. It is glorious! I had the honor of playing Lily (Colin's mother and a ghost) and it was one of the most beautiful experiences in my life.

Morgan
The Secret Garden was a great book that will remain a classic for all time. I recommend this book to anyone willing to take the time to sit down and read a great story written by one of the most intrigueing authors of all time.

jao
well i guess this book is nice..it sure is, but i also hated the yorkshire language. it's just so.......whatever!!i really don't like it, but i still appreciate the book...it has a good ending. I also saw the movie and the cartoon series, but i think the movie is better of the three.Better watch than read...haha!!!.....smayl..1014!!

Melina
This is a totally awesome book! I had to read it for a report, and I'm glad I did! I love how as they help the garden grow, Mary and Colin grow as well! I recommend it!

Nikki
I LOVE this book. I love when they speak Yorshire, it's so easy to read. I love the moors. that is all

Kris
I didnt enjoy the Secret Garden. IT bored me to death. I hope I never have to read such a horrible book again

Stacey Lou
I have been given ''The Secret Garden'' as a starting point for my performing arts individual module (where I have to perform on my own!) and I have been asked to develop it in whatever way I like. I don't have to use the book itself but I know that I would quite like to get inside one of the character's and perhaps use some monologue to describe how they really feel. I'd really appreciate it if anybody could give me some help in developing this module as I am at a total dead end for what exactly to do at the minute. Anyone with any sort of performing ideas please e-mail me at [email protected]!! Thank u xxx

R.T.
I loved this book. It was so rejuvenating and hopeful. I love the feeling of the moors and the secrecy of the garden. Dickon is the embodiment of perfection, and Mary and Colin are trying to slowly grow like him. This story should be on every parent's bookshelf! I love the thought of the garden bringing everything together.

Tara
I had to read this book for school, and personally I never would have read it if we had not been made to, even though I always finish the book the teacher gives us before we even start it in school! It was really boring in the beginning but then later I loved it!!!!!!! The Yorkshire could get annoying sometimes because I like to read fast and I can't when I'm stumbling over words. So then we learned to speak Yorkshire! We must have sounded like Mary when she tried to speak Yorkshire to Dickon, well most of us sounded like that. Our team would speak Yorkshire to each other in the halls and the other team looked like we had gone crazy!!!!!!!! Reading the secret garden was great and we all loved it!!!!!!!! If you have never read the book I tell you no matter how boring the beginning may seem, keep reading!!!!!!!!!!! You won't regret it!!!!!!!!! Honest it gets really good after like the fifth chapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CU L8R!!!!!!!!!!!! Tara

Bethany
I'm in a production of The Secret Garden in Houston, playing the part of Mrs. Sowerby, and I'd just like to comment that The Secret Garden has become one of my favorite books and 1949 movie version is definitely very well made and acted. I only wish I could have seen The Secret Garden on Broadway.

Unregistered
I read this book for school and wrote an essay on it. I think it's an awesome novel and should be read by everyone! It has some great themes, and is easy to understand.

Unregistered
This is a great book for children to read. By reading this book, children can learn about other cultures, religions, and countries. They can see how different it is in England than in India. I recommend this book for children who like to read on their own. The adventures and excitement in this book really pulls you in. I think this was a great book, and that children need to read more adventurous book like this. Have a great time reading!

Dorothy
I vividly remember reading this book as a child. I started reading it reluctantly, mostly because my mother insisted. I found it slow going at first, because I wasn't interested in spoiled little Mary or her distant, meaningless parents. But then...I was lying on my bed when I read the part where the army officers find her. Mary's parents are both dead, all the servants have left...Mary is completely alone. The officer who speaks to her is blinking back tears at her plight. I sat bolt upright, nearly shaking with the enormity of it. That is the first time I remember being so completely moved by a book, being so completely taken out of myself. Obviously, it has stayed with me for all this time and taught me a lot about the power of words to move the reader, to transport to another time and place. Thanks for letting me share this memory.

Sara
I love this movie with Kate Maberly. The movie is just like how I always dreamed living. It gives you the feeling that anything is possible and that you can do anything you want as long as you believe.

Carolyn
Read more about "The Secret Garden" in a companion book: "Inside the Secret Garden," published by HarperCollins, Oct. 2002. It has a biography of the author and answers lots of questions readers have about the original book like where the "real" secret garden is located, what "doughcakes" and "oatcakes" that Mary, Colin, & Dickon enjoyed in their secret garden are and how to make them, the difference between an English robin and an American robin and some things to make to attract robins to your garden, how to make your own jump-rope like Mary's and some English rhymes to go with it, and lots more crafts and activities based on the book! It even has a glossary of Yorkshire terms (like "graidely" and "moithered") to explain how to pronounce them and what they mean. Beautiful illustrations, too. <br>

Renee
This book was alright--but I saw the movie before I read it--and it made it kinda boring cuz I knew what was gonna happen and my teacher was making me read it. I liked the Yorkshire accent. But the book still isnt that great.

Unregistered
i loved this book. it was full and was exciting to know what will happen next. i think you will love it!

Unregistered
I have read it and spanish, also in english. it was fabulous just I spend three days because, I was very interested in what was next. I really recomend it!

Unregistered
The Book is very interesting. I thought is was going to be a boring book, but it proved me wrong. It's great. I can't whait to read the rest of her books.

Christen
I personally loved thebook. It was heartwarming, sad, and surprising at the same time. I hope all parents, and children will read this bookk and charish it as I did.

Unregistered
Every child should read The Secret Garden. It's a great book for kids!

Becky
I read this book a long time ago, and whilst i can't remember the details of the story, the deep sense of grief and sadness that pervades this makes me think that this an chillingly important book to read.....<br><br>I especially likes the bit what he aksks for "more".

Sara
This is a GREAT Book! The set-up is so real! The Yorkshire is so cool, I don't think I could ever talk like that.

Kaitlin
I really LOVED This book as a 6th grader! I usually dont like reading, but this book really showed me that books can very lovely!

Brindha
the secret garden was a wonderful book and my whole family liked it.

Unregistered
this is a wonderful book in which three children share a delight in watching nature in all its magic, the joy they share in the growth of the plants is mirrored in the increasing strength of the once ailing children. The images of nature that the reader is allowed to encounter through the eyes of the children evokes sentiments of almost pantheistic heights.

Relaynie
How dare you say you hate the Yorkshire dialect? That is so rude of you to say. I don't care if you didn't enjoy it, that is an integral part of an entire people's cultural heritage that you are putting down. Rude rude rude . . . If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Geez.<br><br>I love this book, including the Yorkshire dialect it contains (in fact my favorite part), and I would recommend it to anyone. It is such a beautiful story, I can't really understand why anyone would not just love it. I can only think that if you don't love it, you didn't understand it, and that is a great pity.

Chelsea
I thought that The Secret Garden was a pretty good book. The beginning was a little slow at first, but once you got into it, you couldn't stop reading. My favorite character would have to be Dickon. I loved the way he could charm animals and he just sounded like a really cool person to be friends with. But I have a question. What do you think ever happened to Colin in the future? Did he become successful or did he just stay with Mary in the garden for all of his life. I thought that the ending was really good. I always thought that Mr. Craven would be VERY mad with Mary, Colin, and Dickon, but it all turned out the way I wanted it to. Secret Garden was a good book...I'd definitely read it if I was you!

Diana
WOW.... I cant say anything better than that this book was sensational! It took me away into another world. A world full of wonder and imagination. I could almost feel and smell the beautiful trees and colorful flowers. Oh, how I would love to take a walk through that garden, forget about everything and just relax by the nice sound of the robin and his friends. Wouldn't that be nice now. overall I would never get tired of this book, and of course I'll read it again.

Shermaine
I think that Mary is really a poor thing... and her ayah shouldn't pamper her so much!!! It's amazing, great, but very sad...

bballgurl7741
Hey,<br>I didn't like the book the Secret Garden at all. The book was very VERY slow and boring. The book had no action. It should have had a better ending. Peace out!!!:P

Softballbabe9012
While reading the secret garden, I found it intersting. I didnt care for the book at the beginning because there wasn't really anything happening. At the beginning though Mr. Craven is mean to his son Colin. Although at the end it turns out to be a great book! Mr. Craven comes home from his long trip in Europe he meets Colin in the secret garden. While Mr. Craven was gone Colin became better and learned how to walk. I like the part when Mr. Craven comes home and Colinruns to his dad and gives him a big hug!

C.H.
After reading the book the Secret Garden I have formed an opinion of the writing style and detail in the book, which does not include the actual story, and I have formed an opinion of he actual story. The writing style and detail in which the book describes characters was actually not bad. The author took the whole book to characterize some people. As for my critique of the story, however I did not like it. It was more appealing to girls and even some girls thought it was too girly! Having been written in 1911 makes up for it and because I like the extensive amount of detail.

J.L.M.
I did not like this book The Secret Garden because it did not have enough action and excitement like when they just worked in the garden day after day. I also did not like how it took so long for everybody to change attitudes and then all of a sudden Mr. Craven just changed so quickly. I also did not like the ending because I think it left you hanging. I think their could have been another chapter on the end to say what Mr. Craven and Colin did together as father and son and how their relationship changed.

ak
I really liked the book. I thought this book was interesting in some parts. I liked it espeically at the end when they had a family reunion. I think the most interesting part was when they actully find the secret garden. I really did enjoy the book, sometimes there were magical parts and others mysterious. If I enjoyed the book I hope you will too. You will like this book if you like to garden, grow things, and like mysteries.

Qwerty16
I believe this book is a truly fantastic piece of literature. Although part of this book was a little slow, because Mary does not show any enthausiasm in the begining of the book, but the action picks up in the latter part of the book. This gripping tale of change and magic is absolutely superb! I actually had to think in order to comprehend this complex plot.<br>Thank you and have a nice day.

minisiv1
I think the book was exciting because the secret of the garden kept me on my toes all through out the book. How people can change from such sour, mean faces to a light face when something joyful has swept over them. Embracing spots of magic wipes the dread of death away and makes them stand up straight. A person who could talk and understand animals as clearly we do each other. I think the book was exciting from the author to the reader.

SpUnKy3254
I think that this book was pretty good. It was a little boring at times but for the most part it kept me interested. I think that Mary was a very good character, I loved how she changed from a little brat to someone who cared about life and had feelings because of the secret garden. This book will still be a classic for many for many years to come.

B.B.
I liked the secret garden because it was a good book and it had a nice ending. I also did not like it because I though it was to girly. I also thought it did not have enough action in it. I can forgive it because it was writen in 1911. I will give the book three stars out of five after all.

Davyboy05
I liked the book but it didn't have a lot of action in it. Mostly it was about gardens,(I don't care for.) But the waiting of what was comming next was very exciting. Because you didn't know what was comming next. It could have been more full of action in it. I would have really liked it more if it was a war. It also was full of magic. Like when Colin was in the garden and he stood up, and he could walk. The ends of the chapters were most exciting, because you would not know what was comming next, so you have to read on and on untill you finish the book.

Pole Vaulter
I thought it was a little dark and dreary, but there were some happy times. I did like the ending when Colin and his father had a wonderful reunion. The story was interesting on how the book was about Mary, the about Dickon, and then about Colin. When Mary found the key to the garden and then when she found the garden itself it was very mysterious, but since the book was mostly gardens the story seemed a little light and desperate. I didn't like how everyone in the story was unhappy. The animals and the idea of magic livened the book up, which was a good thing, but overall I wasn't impressed. It could have more excitment to it.

hotchocolate3452003
This was a great story, like the part when Mary finds a key to a secret garden and after that a mysterious breeze shows her the door to the secret garden. Although this was a good part in the story, there is a better part. And that is the part in the book that Mary goes to her cousins house and they make fun of her and thereafter the author used that same annoying joke throughout the story but split and I think that that is great because it shows that the author read the book as well as the reader.

TerriersGal4
I think ths book was ok. I liked it in some parts when Mary first went in the Secret Garden or when she found the hidden corridor behind the tapestry. I mean those parts were exciting but some weren't. One of the parts I didn't like was when they just working in the garden. Or when the robin though they were very different. Those parts of the book were ok but not very exciting. I like books that keep you on edge like a mystery. In the first 298 pages of the secret garden you solve the mystery in like the first hundred. That's really not keeping you on edge or wandering what will happen.<br><br><br> TerriersGal4

shortstop1057
The sectret gerden was a very cool book. I admit that the begining was very slow but it got even more interesting when I got to the middle of the book. I have never seen the movie though. I really want to though. It was exciting when Mary was looking for the key and then the door. I loved the robin that showed Mary where the key and the door was. I think that the spirt of Mr. Craven's wife Lilias was inside the robin showing Mary to her garden so that it could be restored and alive again. She was also in the garden and I think she was the magic that helped Colin stand up, walk and get well again. The only thing that I didn' t like was the end. It should have more to it to make it osund better. I think this book is very cool because of the secret garden and the robin. <br>

AAK
At the beginning of this book it seemed boring, and I was sure that I absolutely hated it. The book was required for my class so I had to read on. As the book continued I was slowly entranced by the majic that started to happen. Before I knew it I liked the book so much, I dreaded putting it down. There are adventures everywhere, secrets being told, and it's just very exciting! I loved this book and I would highly recommend it to anyone. No matter what age you are it's a majical book, and I enjoyed it very much!

Jill
This is one of my favorite childhood memories! When I was very small, my neighbor (who was nearly 100 years old when I met her) would read this book to me for hours on end. She gave me "our" copy of this magical story for my seventh birthday, and it has become one of my favorite stories and most cherished posessions. I feel that this story was one of the biggest influences on one of my favorite hobbies now as an adult - writing. To anyone with children or grandchildren, read them this book. It will certainly teach them a wonderful lesson and give them great memories to look back on when they are adults. If I could go back in time, I would go back to one of those laid-back afternoons at Mrs. Billings house and listen to her sweet voice read this sweet story to me.

Unregistered
The Secret Garden is a must-read book. Girls over there who want to get inspiration to overcome failures and fears, this book is really meant for you. So get it now from your favorite bookstore! See yah! Philippines (donnaregulto 6/26/04)

Denielle Underwood
When I read the book, I was shocked. It was so inspiring how Mary made Collin better, much better. I haven't yet seen the movie yet, but boy do I want to. I inspire everyone who reads this to read the book. It's great. You'll really love it.<br>

Brianna
I first saw the movie The Secret Garden when I was little but I am just now reading the book. I think that there are very big differences and similarities. I think my favorite character is Dicken because of his love for animals and his talent. I found it hard to read the yorkshire sometimes but I got used to it. I am doing a report on this story for school and why it deserves to be a classic I think you know! This book will always be one of my favorites!

hi, this is me
this book was kinda weird cause it is highly unlikely that anything like this could ever happen. it was simple, yet hard to understand because of the way some of the people talked. i think the author could have refined it a bit to make it better.

Unregistered
The Secret Garden is a must-read book. Girls over there who want to get inspiration to overcome failures and fears, this book is really meant for you. So get it now from your favorite bookstore! See yah! Philippines (donnaregulto 6/26/04)

Vezara
This book is a very good stepping ground for encouraging children to read. It is romantic, magical and wonderfully mish-mashed into one of the greatest books I've ever read. It doesn't get boring no matter how many times you read it. It only gets better!! Ms. Burnett is a great author. I've also read The Little Princess and it was brilliant as well. She knows how to touch children of all ages with her vivid descriptions of not only the physical surroundings of the setting but also of the aura of the plot. She is amazing!!! If you liked this book you should try The Little Princess. I promise you would not be disappointed.<br><br><br>Vezara

carrie
i read this book two years ago. In the beginning, i did'nt like it because of the girl mary,. Frankly, i hated her character. however, as i read and read, i began to like it. From this book, i learned that only you dare to have a try, all may have a chance to come true, just as LiNing said:'everything is possible. clinon could recover and lived a normal life; Mary became helpful; the family lived together. So now, once i happen to failure, difficulty and unhappy thing, i won't loose heart. I will catch one percent chance with 99 percent adventure. i believe will be OK!

michelle
i totally LOVE this book. it's one of my favorites and i recommend that everybody reads it if they haven't yet. and it's a fantastic movie. burnett is a very fantastic author that will remain one of the best for centuries to come and i'll will never forget how wonderful it feels to read her books.

Unregistered
I think that the book would be a lot better if we could understand more yorkshire but some people can not I didn't really enjoy it a lot but that may be because I read it before so maybe you just don't like the accent not the storyline!!!

Angi
I first read this book when I was 12 (almost 4 years ago) and have been in love with it ever since. It's a timeless tale that EVERY child should read. The movies are really good too. My two favorites are the 1949 edition with Margaret O'Brien and the 1993 edition with Kate maberly as Mary and Maggie Smith as Mrs. Medlock. I though Maggie Smith made the PERFECT Mrs. Medlock. She looks so strict and proper. <br>As I said before, it's a wonderful story that I STRONLY recommend to everyone.

Anna
I thought it was an excellent read. I'm currently reading it for the 4th time and loving it even more. It is an excellent book to read when you want to take yourself to another place. It made me understand the way children behave when they have been spoiled with no love. I found it very emotional and heart warming. I would give it 5 stars.

Christina
I really enjoyed reading the comments that everybody had. One person said that he hated the book and I like that because he was being honest and I respect that. Nobody likes a fake. I am doing a report on this book and i will be happy to post it when I am finished. I would like to know exactly how you post it, I never really did it before. Thanks again for the comments bye!!

bushra
hi,<br>i enjoy this story and i like it alot and i am doing now oral peresentation.and this story book i get it from libray and i like it alot.but its said that when the small girl parents die and she feel alone but its easy to understand.i hope everyone enjoy this story book and i also see the movie of SECRECT GARDEN and in the movie the garden is sooooooooooooo nice its like we guys get in to HEAVEN.Amazing.i love this book.

gilles
Can anyone tell me in what year the story actually takes place?<br><br>Thank you.

rick
Is the musical "The Secret Garden" based on this story? Can anyone give me directions to the musical? Thanks

Cooldudette
i think that this book was really good and i think that you will never be able to read this since you are already dead. I think that this book should be done over and over many times but still the same way. This book was inspiering to my whole family and my class. I think that this book will be here for a long time in the future. Thank you for your time.....From Cooldude(B)<br>

Dana
I really enjoyed "The Secret Garden". It's one of my favourite books, and I really enjoy the 1993 version of the 1949 film. I had to read a classic book for a study at school, and as i saw the movie first, I thought it would be cool if I read the book. I really enjoyed reading it, and if Frances Hodgson Burnett was alive today, she would be proud!!!!!

Deslie
The most important element of The Secret Garden is the "magic." In her aloneness at Misselthwaite Manor, Mary discovers a secret garden, which the uncle has kept locked up for ten years since the death of his young wife, Lily. With the help of Dickon, who lives on the moor, Mary starts to make the garden come alive or “wick.” Both Mary and Dickon believe that there is “magic” in this garden. Mary becomes totally convinced that Colin can walk if he, too, can share the magic. Mary and Dickon bring Colin to the garden and tell him that the magic is in him. Colin calls on that magic, and he walks! When Mrs. Sowerby, Colin’s mother, visits the garden and sees the miracle of Colin’s healing, she reinforces the understanding that the magic is God, or the “joy-maker” as she refers to Him. Too often the movies and made-for-television productions have watered down the element of "magic." In the case of the 1993 lavish side screen movie version, the magic had a psychic dimension. Except for the book itself, the Broadway musical best captured the meaning of the "magic," because it expanded our understanding of the love between Archie and Lily, and why thata love is the key to the healing of both Colin and Mary. When the grieving Archie meets Mary for the first time, his heart responds to her as she reminds him of Lily in her love of things of the earth. After Mary gets his permission to make a garden anywhere she likes, Archie leaves Misselthwaite once again to try and forget his pain. During the time he is away, the three children work in the garden and Colin gets stronger every day. By the time Lily calls Archie to the garden, Colin is running around like any healthy boy. Lily conveys to the grieving Archie that it is by loving their son that he will find the peace he so desperately seeks, as well as the ability to let go of her in his mind and heart. In the very last scene, Lily sends Mary to Archie and, hand-in hand, Archie, Mary, and Colin walk together in the secret garden of their love.

Michael
I am in 7th grade and had to read this book for school. Infact I have a test tomorrow but anyways i thinks the book was an awsome story for any age group. The other boys in class thaught it was a girly book because it had a pink cover but I am so glad I read this because it is a very nice story about learning to really live and grow and to have perseverence. I loved the ending it was so good And i am sure i will read this book again sometime!

Jody
When I saw the movie it is wonderful but when I found the book the movie was near but not the characters. I am very familiar with the Yorkshire language. I have read many books and learned Yorkshire very well. I thought Colin was very quiet when I read the summary at the back, but when I finished it, I know that he had loved Mary very much (as a cousin) and Mary has been fond of him. I wonder why Mrs. Burnett liked the name Sara/Sarah so much because she used it in her novel A Little Princess (I have read by Penguin books) and Sarah Ann in Secret Garden (Dover pub.)?

Mia
I have not yet read the book, I have been searching everywhere,high and low to find this damn book,even when I went oversea's I couldnt find it! But i've seen the movie and it's one of my fav's,a very touching story...I love mary's "dont give a damn"attitude(very much like me)but i also like how she softens towards the end of the movie.<br>The castle was perfect i must say,where was it,england??? very spooky looking anyway,the country side was pretty crapp looking though(n/o)Who would ever want to live there in the winter?But the garden was absolutely GORGEOUS!

Michael Bishop
The Secret Garden is one of the best books I've ever read. I like the adventures & characters. I realy like Dickon and the way he talks to animals.I wish I could talk to animals too. It;s a great book to read <br>when you realy have nothing to do. I realy think it's sad that Mary's <br>parents died. Well thanks for listening to me. Bye

Rachel
The Secret Garden is a fascinating book! It is one of the best classics written. Believe me, it will not bore you, (like some classics do that your mother makes you read). YOu can really get into the book. Me, as person that does not like reading books, found this one quite interesting. Buy it anywhere, like Little Professor in the Lakewood Mall in Aberdeen, of just anywhere. It's a great book!

kimberley
The secret garden was given to me as a gift from my grandmother!i seen the movie and i thought wow that should be a good read so i droped everything i was doing and began to read the book that changed my views on life!<br>this book is one magnificent book that i recomend to everyone.To read a book that really gets you inspired is really hard to find and to be able to smell the flowers in the garden as you read it is truely amazing.<br>i love this book to pieces and i have read it many of times it is a book that i will defenately hand down to my children when i have them and i'm sure they will love the book as much as i have!!<br>anyone who doesnt like the book really doesn't know what they are reading...The yorkshire accent is wonderful you can truely learn how to speak it after reading this book!<br>my favourite character would have to be colin,to go from not leaving the house ever and never walking to walking and loving the world like every little ten year old was amazing he really inspired me and i think he is a beautiful person.<br>if you hav not yet read this book i really recomend you do it ia so inspiring that you will just want to read it over and over again!!<br>kimberley..............aged 17

Steve
I have read the book, seen the original movie with Margaret O'Brien, have attended a preformance of the musical, and now have the honor of producing the musical at our theater. The story is real, but magical at the same time, changing the life of not only the spoiled, lonely, unloved and sad little girl, but also all those around her. It inspires as well as emitting the emotion of empathy for those whom we are helped to understand; then dislike turns into caring turning into love. The music is glorious as well as inspirational. I urge everyone to try to see the musical stage production should it ever come your way.

natalie
I read the secret garden and i thought it was an extrodinary book and it was very well done. the yorshire accent was well written and i think i will have to persade my mates to read it.

Pat
"The Secret Garden" was my favorite book as a child...and favorite film (1949), starring Margaret O'Brien (Mary Lennox), Herbert Marshall (Archibald Craven), Dean Stockwell (Colin Craven), Brian Roper (Dickon), and Gladys Cooper (Mrs. Medlock). Also, while living in Boston, my "proper Bostonian" neighbor gave me an original copy of "The Secret Garden," which I treasure. While living in Los Angeles, a friend took me to a revival theater to see a screening of the 1949 version of "The Secret Garden." And, to my surprise, Margaret O'Brien was sitting directly behind me in the next row.

Tia
The Secret Garden is very interesting book,I recommend this book to anyone who likes to read ficition novels.

frans
06-26-2005, 01:53 AM
I've seen two versions of the secret garden and I just find out that there is about 8 movies about that book, even one of 1919. Does anyone knows why?

shortysweetp
07-28-2005, 11:23 PM
nope but there are just as many for pride and prejudice by jane austen. its a classic tale that everyone loves and they update it every decade or so i am sure.

Little_Bird
12-04-2005, 08:12 PM
I have seen 3 of the remakes, 2 of which don't follow the book very well. There was one made for TV in 1987 that I highly recommend. It follows the book very closely, including the way in which Mary looses her parents (Cholera, NOT an earthquake!).

BMWROCKZ
05-14-2006, 07:36 PM
:nod: This is my favourite book!!!! :nod:

BMWROCKZ
05-14-2006, 07:40 PM
:cool: Not sure, but I have seen a lot of movies about the secret garden. May be it is because of the events. Or characters...... :D :nod:

BMWROCKZ
05-14-2006, 07:47 PM
You should finish the book, it is really good!!!

BMWROCKZ
05-14-2006, 07:48 PM
:confused: How come you didn't enjoy it????

RJbibliophil
06-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Yes, the Secret Garden is a good book.

dreamer~
10-11-2006, 08:29 AM
:) This book is sooo awesome! I have read tons of books last summer (my computer, nothing worked!!!) Anyway, this book was so awesome when I read it. It's really compelling.......a plot.....awesome.....(do I say awesome too many times...?) Anyway, I hope anyone else who's read it likes it too! Plus, I also WATCHED THE PLAY! Of course the book was so much more awesome, but it was somehow easier to understand WHEN you see it with your own eyes. THIS BOOK IS SO AWESOME! AND WHOEVER READS MUST2 LIKE IT!!!! ~Dreamer~--Kim--age 12

mir
10-11-2006, 08:40 AM
yeah, that book really is great. for any age; i'm nearly fifteen and still love it. So is A Little Princess, by the same author - my grandmother has it at her house, and i read it again every year when i go - i've probably read it at leasst ten times now

dreamer~
10-13-2006, 09:37 AM
I havent been able to read a lot these past few weeks, I have done a little too much and I guess most people hate it when I talk about the books. Anyway, I think I will try reading that book...I believe my friend read it for one of her projects I'll check the princess book in my library...anyway, this author is really awesome and anybody who reads the books should really like the book as well. Any theme, moral, genre, or characters the author can attempt and succeed with any, and create a masterpiece.

mir
10-13-2006, 01:41 PM
nobody hates it on LitNet! :D

good luck with your work overload . . . school being evil?

dreamer~
10-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah it aint fair....too much stuff .... but my grades got in yesterday...all 99-107averages man~~~ anyway...yeah everyone should like it round here....

btw people, if you ever get around to reading secret gardern, or thanks to mir, a little princess, either reply to this thread and say what you feel, or at least talk to someone about it--never hurts to share what you're thinking. Who knows? maybe you'll make some friends

~Kim..12

Dallasdream99
10-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Everyone's seen and read at least ONCE the book Secret Garden. It's an awesome book for all ages and no matter what it should just be something you can't put down...I read the book a long time ago but its still clear in my mind. I watched the play right after reading the book so that I could compare them, they were both awesome, but the book was more "realistic" and the play was more visual. Anyway, this awesome book The Secret Garden should be a great book for people who love plays, thrills, real life problems, and coincidences. Any comments anyone ^^?

~Skye..age: 14:brow: ;) :thumbs_up :nod: :banana:

Dallasdream99
10-14-2006, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't say its good, its AWESOME!

Dallasdream99
10-14-2006, 11:50 AM
This book is really great--I agree ... Plus...even though I barely read anymore too...Im really happy I gave the secret garden a chance, when my friend recommended it to me I was like "Yuck...I dont like books like this..." But then I read it and realized it's awesome
AN AWESOME BOOK FOR ALL AGES!!!

Dallasdream99
10-14-2006, 11:55 AM
I agree...it's a somewhat thriller, though it isn't horror or anything. It keeps you interested in reading it, and there's a lot to learn in this. Some may relate to the characters, some may learn how different they are from the characters. Awesome book full of compelling events.
~Skye, 14

Dallasdream99
10-14-2006, 11:59 AM
If you can't get into a book, its hard to say you love it. But if your actually in the plot of the book where the climax is, your mind races...it's tons more awesome to be able to get into the feeling and understand that book for you own interest...instead of being forced to do it, and not putting yourself out there to be swallowed in the climax (okay I know it's a stupid way of putting it...but who cares...)
~Skye, 14

Dallasdream99
10-14-2006, 12:05 PM
I for one, enjoyed it as well. It was great experience being sucked up into all the drama, mystery, and compelling problems. As I said in another thread, it's much better to read for your own interest, rather than being forced to read it. If you don't get sucked up into all the drama, there's just no reason to be reading it. Trust me, the first time I read it, I did it for school and I absolutely hated it cause I thought it was really boring. But then we had this black out a few months later, and nothing worked and I found only one book. I read it and was sucked in and I absolutely loved it!!
~Skye, 14

Dallasdream99
10-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Um why did you hate it? I think you hated it coz you weren't in the mood. Think about it. If you're not sucked into all the confusing drama how the hell would you enjoy it? (sorry about saying hell, just making a point) Anyway, if I were you I would put time aside SO THAT you could TRY to like it. Coz if you give it a shot, its an awesome book!!! MANNN!!!!
~Skye, 14

ThruMyEyer73
10-14-2006, 08:59 PM
i absolutly adore the secret garden! its the kind of book u read on a rainy day curled up with a mug of hot cocoa
<3 <3 <3

Dallasdream99
10-15-2006, 04:17 AM
I think the reason why, is because when an epic and great book is told, some actually read it, but most don't want to. They usually wait for the movie. Over time more and more movies would be made to add modern technology in to enhance the clarity of the movie..(wow haven't used this vocabulary in a long time..)--Skye, 14 (okay may be wrong, but most probably..)

Dallasdream99
10-16-2006, 10:30 PM
it is an awesome book, i agree

sighman
10-30-2006, 07:35 AM
I read part of the book in class and its awesome. We are doing the play in Drama class and Reading the Novel in Humanities class. It is awesome because it is all about Mary's problems. This book is truely amazing. The author makes Mary look like a sour person but after awhile it looks like she is becoming a better person. I enjoy reading this book in classes. It is a classic book because people have been reading it forever and passing it on from generation to generation. It was written in 1911 I think and now its what, 2006 that is 95 years. :wave:

sighman
10-30-2006, 07:38 AM
Its a great book about Mary turning into a better person I think, I think she gets better from what I have read she has gotten better.

dreamer~
11-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Justin *ahem* SO! apparently you read this book at the same time i did, you did the research the time I did, and so basically we should've had the same thoughts and ideas about it. After all SIGHman, you do go to the same school as me (I think.............) ... ANYWAY! Nice entry..... and I just have to say. This is a great book, and the thing is I can relate to mary and colin...as Mr. Sheldon, our drama teacher said, "Mary jumps and screams the way Kim does when she doesn't get her way." and "Colin jumps and screams the way Kevin does when he doesn't get his way" hahha.......I like reading Martha because of her thick accent, but I liked reading Mary because she's the spitting image of me.....personality wise...in some way... but anyway, Mr. Steel (Humanities) had said, that beacsue of what hadhappened to her parents, how she had been treated, everything changed. Nice entry.

dreamer~
11-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi...I understand why you may not like it. But I loved it. Well its your loss, but thanks for sharing you thoughts ^^

chancegardener
06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
My grandmother gave me this book when I was ten years old, and I read it over and over. Recently, at the age of fifty seven, after an especially enjoyable spring of gardening and re-landscaping around my house, I read it again and discovered that it was even better than I remembered. Now that I know something about gardening, of course, I have to wonder how Mary could spend all morning weeding flower beds and NOT go back to the house covered with dirt from head to foot. And where did they put all the mulch after they weeded and pruned? And how did they smuggle enough water for all those flowers into the garden? Didn't anyone notice the kids going back and forth with buckets and wheelbarrows?

But who cares? This isn't supposed to be a strictly realistic story. It's about feeling lonely, grumpy, unloved and unattractive (and who on this earth hasn't felt like that at some time or other?) and then getting over all that misery and self-pity by doing something beautiful and creative. Through gardening, Mary learns to care about things and people other than herself, and then Colin learns the same things.

For those of you who have trouble with the Yorkshire dialect, try reading it out loud. If you know what a Scottish accent sounds like, try to pronounce it a bit like that. You'll get it eventually.