PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Read This?

LitNetIsGreat
08-13-2012, 05:24 AM
I picked this up yesterday by chance in a second-hand book shop and starting reading it. It seems promising by the first few chapters, any readers of it?

cacian
08-13-2012, 05:28 AM
Hi Neely do you mean the
History of Mr Polly?

Emil Miller
08-13-2012, 05:30 AM
I picked this up yesterday by chance in a second-hand book shop and starting reading it. It seems promising by the first few chapters, any readers of it?

What's the title?

cacian
08-13-2012, 05:39 AM
What's the title?

That is exactly what I had posted earlier but then I noticed the titles above the ''reply to thread'' there is an Author list and next to it Wells, H.G then the title.
I think this is right but I'm not sure.:)

Emil Miller
08-13-2012, 06:18 AM
That is exactly what I had posted earlier but then I noticed the titles above the ''reply to thread'' there is an Author list and next to it Wells, H.G then the title.
I think this right but not sure.:)

Then in that case the answer is yes and it's highly recommended, as are all Wells' non science fiction novels. Here's a scene from the film.

http://youtu.be/NGXliYgAy50

LitNetIsGreat
08-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Oh they made a film of it? Yes I'm about halfway though it's not bad at all, I do like Wells.

Emil Miller
08-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Oh they made a film of it? Yes I'm about halfway though it's not bad at all, I do like Wells.

You might care to try 'Love and Mr Lewisham' which question's the compatibility of intellectual pursuits with marriage it's one of his best books.

LitNetIsGreat
08-13-2012, 06:56 PM
You might care to try 'Love and Mr Lewisham' which question's the compatibility of intellectual pursuits with marriage it's one of his best books.

Thanks that sounds interesting and I do like reading Wells, I'll look into it.

LitNetIsGreat
08-22-2012, 07:18 PM

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, this is available for download free on Project Gutenberg. I have it in line for my next book after the one I'm currently reading.

I enjoyed reading Mr Polly. It is true perhaps that it is not 'earth shattering' in its scope, but it as enjoyable nonetheless and there were some good comic moments in it. I also watched the latest film verstion with Lee Evans as Mr Polly, just now, which was OK, but I think I should have gone with the original film version as this was probably better. (I think this was more costly though.)

Emil Miller
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Incidentally, if anyone is interested, this is available for download free on Project Gutenberg. I have it in line for my next book after the one I'm currently reading.

I enjoyed reading Mr Polly. It is true perhaps that it is not 'earth shattering' in its scope, but it as enjoyable nonetheless and there were some good comic moments in it. I also watched the latest film verstion with Lee Evans as Mr Polly, just now, which was OK, but I think I should have gone with the original film version as this was probably better. (I think this was more costly though.)

Wells is usually a reliable writer who records the foibles of the English of Edwardian times in a similar vein to how Dickens did for the Victorian age. I don't think anyone captured the mood of those times better than Wells and if you want a really funny one that sends up advertising you might try Tono Bungay about a sub-medicinal cure-all mixture that becomes a giant money spinner.
It should have been written by an American.