PDA

View Full Version : Shooting an Elephant?

Juliett
08-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi,
I recently read this essay and I am having trouble understanding the meaning of it. I think the meaning is that when Orwell ( or whoever the narrator is) gave in to the pressure of the Burmese people by shooting the elephant ( an act he wouldn't have done on his own) he gave up his own freedom. The problem is I am not sure how the idea of imperialism fits in? Any thoughts or ideas about the meaning?

qimissung
08-10-2012, 09:44 PM
I love that essay. In order to tease some meaning out of it, maybe try a venn diagram comparing and contrasting differing elements in the story. You can do with with other classmates in a study group. You'll probably get some better ideas with brainstorming.

kev67
02-18-2013, 06:57 PM
I read the essay recently. Once he picked up the elephant gun, he felt he had no choice but to kill the elephant because all the locals expected it. He would have disappointed them if he had not. The locals might have sneered at him and he felt he would have lost face. Orwell says the locals resented the white colonialists and often showed signs of disrespect, and civil disobedience. There were usually not very many colonialists there, so if the local population ever did turn against them as a whole, they would be in big trouble. Orwell feels the colonialists have to wear a mask of forcefulness and fearlessness. If they let the mask slip, they're finished.