PDA

View Full Version : Jane Eyre wins the lottery (spoliers)

kev67
08-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Well, that was a coincidence! Fancy coming across your long lost relatives like that! Just striking out where ever the coach takes you, being dropped off at some random spot, then wandering around the houses until you found one where the people were kind enough to let you in and take care of you. And you get on so well! Then it turns out they're your cousins and you're suddenly able to reward their kindness by sharing out a legacy that was unjustly denied to them. It's a small world. Still, I am not sure I would share out my legacy entirely equally if it were me. I mean, they did effectively save your life by taking you in, and giving you shelter and food, but I don't suppose that amounts to £5000 each. So how would you split it?

mona amon
08-07-2012, 08:44 AM
:lol:

I voted for 49-17-17-17%

kiki1982
08-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Same from me.

yes, what a coincidence! Gosh, how strange. :lol:
You forgot to mention that the maid wasn't so keen... ;)

Didn't Jane divide it in three instead of four, because StJohn didn't want any?
I thought she spent some (of hers?) on re-decorating the house and then gave Diana and Mary £5,000 each and kept 5,000 herself. That's pretty substancial.

Personally I would probably give them something, but not all of it.

kev67
08-08-2012, 07:52 PM
I have to say, I find this part of the story a little weak. If there was some reason for Jane getting off at the stop she did, or heading for a particular town, such as the name of the place ringing a bell, it would not have been so implausible that she met her cousins. It seemed like CB wanted to get Jane from A to B but didn't think of a good way of getting her there.

This part about her inheriting a legacy and wanting to spread it among her family so much reminds me of people who fantasize about winning the lottery.

BTW, her night spent sleeping in the woods reminded me of Tess's night spent in the woods from Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Maybe Tess and Jane should have teamed up.