PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
05-29-2004, 01:00 AM
Hook has no real identity. In many plays and movies he is often portrayed by the same actor who portrays Mr. Darling, but in the book this is not stated. Hook's identity is that of the enemy. As Hook is the enemy, so is growing up. So, you can either look at Hook as his own being, a villian on the island, or you can look at him as the "dad". An adult who follows all of the rules and makes the children obey by them. In tis sense he is still the enemy b/c he is the "grown up" which is Peter Pan's enemy. In either sense, he is the bad guy who needs to be warded off.

Letty
03-21-2005, 06:59 PM
My fellow Neverlander,<br><br>Hook is the essence of all grown up life. Although in the book he is perceived to be evil and cruel he is more the man who does not remember what it is like to have been young. The wonderful thing about Hook is that he has some depth. In most novels the antagonist is simply a person that is evil because he oppose's the main character. But Sir James Barrie allows his reader to explore Hook and his origion. It is common theory that Hook is a part of Mr. Darling; or as the children see Mr. Darling. Hook is frightened of being old so he fights the young....it's hard to explain but its the best I can do.<br> <br> Yours<br> -Letty

Nina
04-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I totally agree with the above. I've noticed that as well. Mr. Darling in the original play is also Hook's character and as for the Disney cartoon, the same voice of Mr. Darling is Captian Hook, as well as in the newiest movie of Peter Pan released last Christmas. I totally agree with what the above says about Hook's identidy. He is either the enemy of Peter Pan, or the father in the story who wants all authority.

Unregistered
04-27-2005, 04:22 PM
No no no! I know what you are talking about. In the book it hints that Barrie based Hook on a real person. Are you asking who that person is?

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Well,since i am a foreigner and having read the book in English , there's one thing i didn't understand and it may sound stupid...What was the real identity of Hook?I know it sounds silly but it's been bothering me for years (first time i read Peter Pan was 9 years ago)and everytime i read the book it slips my mind!Thank you so much for even bothering to read my question!