PDA

View Full Version : Slighty confused

Unregistered
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
He was lost with a tag on his clothes that said "slightly soiled".

Emyrs
01-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Slightly's name comes from the name written inside his pinefore.<br>"Slightly Soiled - that's my name!"<br><br>The line is in the play - perhaps not the novel.<br><br>Paul - and all who reads this - why not join ANON - the J. M. Barrie Society and for a more popular approach the ever-fun PeterPanFan site.<br><br>http://www.jmbarrie.net<br>http://www.peterpanfan.com<br><br>All Neverlanders are welcome.<br><br>Feel free to write us.

Unregistered
02-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Slightly is called so because he had a note pinned to his diaper that said "Slightly Soiled." Think about it. To funny. I think that you can find this in the play but not in the book.

Greg
02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
"Slightly Soiled" was the inscription written on the bed-clothes of one of the Lost Boys. It was intended for the laundry, but then the little boy ran away from home & became a Lost Boy in Neverland. The other Lost Boys called him "Slightly" for short. You can find this information in the text of the play "Peter Pan."

Greg
02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
One of the Lost Boys ran away from home wearing pajamas that were marked "slightly soiled" for the laundry. The boy presumed that was his name & the other boys called him "Slightly" for short. This explanation is from the text of J.M. Barrie's stage-play "Peter Pan" & the text of the Broadway musical.

katerin
02-14-2005, 02:29 PM
the comment that ur looking for is in page77 at the bottom, why would u want to know anyway ? I have to read the book for college and i hate it can you give me a website that might have the summaries for the chapters?

Buffy
03-18-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure if it's in the book, I haven't read through it in a while, so I couldn't tell you where it is even if it's in there-- but if you've ever seen the Broadway musical, he boasts that his parents loved him more than any of the other boys' parents loved them because HIS parents wrote his name inside his underwear. They read "Slightly Soiled" and so Peter has always called him Slightly. :) It is genius, after all...

Unregistered
03-20-2005, 08:07 PM
"Slightly" is called that because on the label of the clothes he was lost in, it said "Slightly Soiled" (from the dry cleaners or sumthin).

Carole
03-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Slightly is called Slightyly because, he believes, his mother wrote his name on his clothes. What she wrote was:"Slightly Soiled", as a discription of the condition of his clothes.

Unregistered
03-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Slightly, who cuts whistles out of the trees and dances ecstatically to his own tunes. Slightly is the most conceited of the boys. He thinks he remembers the days before he was lost, with their manners and customs, and this has given his nose an offensive tilt

Paul
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Hello! what can i say?, PeterPan was the best book i've ever read. I read it this summer for the first time. I'm 15 and i don't think ill ever come across another book as genious and brilliant as this one. I've always liked the Peter Pan cartoons when i was little and Hook the movie, but once i read the book I realized how amazing the story of Peter Pan truly is. I wish James M. Barrie was still alive so he could write another book!<br> There is a question i have though, Why is "Slightly" called "Slightly" i can not remember the reasoning of this in the book nor have i been able to find the part that explains it.<br> So, if anyone can awnser my question that would be great. <br>Anywho, i must be going.<br>Thanks for your time,<br><br> Paul

Slightly
03-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Hello....Slightly's name came from a tag on his PJ's that said "slightly spoiled" that his mother intened for the laundry. It was not from his diaper because he did not wear one only the two twins wore one. Oh, and they called him slightly for short. He thinks he knows everything about mainland life but realy just makes stuff up....but the funny thing i love about his is he believes himself.

Dr. Pan
04-12-2006, 10:53 PM
You are right that Slightly takes his name from the message written on his pinafore, that was intended for the laundry. But in wonderful Barrie logic at the end of the play, Liza the little maid, asks if his name is "Slightly Soiled", and identifies herself as his mother, suggesting (to me) that actually was his name.