PDA

View Full Version : Wendy

Unregistered
03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Barrie didn't have any children when he was younger. He played with a friends four boys. They also had a daughter named Wendy. Unfortunately, the parents and daughter died and Barrie adopted the boys. He would play with them, games of make believe, and came up with the premise of Peter Pan and Wendy.

John Hensley
04-27-2005, 10:34 AM
"Barrie married Mary Ansell, an actress, in 1894 and although they had no children, he had many as friends. He had previously known a little girl, Margaret Henley, who died at the age of six. She called him 'my friendy', which she lisped as 'fwendy' or 'wendy', and thus a new girl’s name was born. Barrie immortalised her in 'Peter Pan' by calling his heroine Wendy."<br><br>Quoted from...http://www.gosh.org/about_us/peterpan/barrie.html<br><br>I had a similar question. Did Barrie ever spend any time in the orient? The name "Peter Pan" gives me pause. Pan the mythological character or Pan, which in Chinese means "leader?" Peter was the leader of the lost boys of Neverland. Input?<br>

Jay
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Is anyone aware of the fact that the name "Wendy" was created for this story? Now, to me, what is amazing is how quickly the name has become so popular in such a short time!! That is a tribute to the greatness of this story