PDA

View Full Version : Poetry Contest: For Love of a Place

qimissung
07-09-2012, 04:46 PM
I think it's time for another poetry contest. The theme of this contest is 'for love of a place.' The poem should reflect love of a place-anyplace-your childhood home, homeland, school, vacation spot, a place that you hold sacred, a room in your house, a vacation spot, a city...I think you get the idea. My prime example of this is from Shakespeare's "King Richard II":

This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,--
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

Dover Beach is another fine example of this. It may be that I've done one similar to this, but it's been awhile, so, poets, pick up your pens. The deadline will be July 31st.

Send me your poem in a private PM. Do not post your poem elsewhere on the site or reveal yourself in any way as the author until the winner is announced. Once all poems are submitted we will have about three weeks to vote for the winner.

Jeos
07-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Hello, I am new here...how to participate in the contest? By simply sending you a poem?

qimissung
07-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi, Jeos, and welcome. Yes, send your poem to me in a private PM. You may name yourself as the author to me (in the PM), but should otherwise remain anonymous.

I look forward to your work!

Jeos
07-10-2012, 02:41 PM
I sent you the PM...pls confirm reception.

All the best

qimissung
08-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Alright, I've gotten a number of great entries. The entry deadline has passed and I will post the entries later tonight.