PDA

View Full Version : The Taming of the Shrew

cacian
07-09-2012, 04:18 AM
I was looking into reading the book and so proceeded, as you do, to look into the meaning of the word SHREW and to my suprise I decided not to or got put off if you like.
The dictionary entry for the word SHREW

1.A small mouselike insectivorous mammal (Sorex, Crocidura, and other genera, family Soricidae) with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
2.A bad-tempered or aggressively assertive woman.

I was surprised to see the word was meant as a reference to women ONLY.

I am trying to see if the word itself comes from SHRUDE.

so what book has put YOU OFF and why?

Charles Darnay
07-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Don't read too literally into it. The word shrew meant someone not considered "civilized". Kate does not conform to her society.

While not the best play, it is fun and worth a read.

bIGwIRE
07-10-2012, 01:17 AM
I have the feeling that if you find the title offensive, you will see the entire play as a moral outrage.

It basically is the story of a man who dominates and abuses the woman he owns into submission and obedience. At the time it was written, physically beating your wife was acceptable, even expected, if she "deserved" it.

There exist many ways to interpret the intent, and whether it should be taken literally or not is debated as well. I took it literal, and therefore found it repulsive, but many take it as a farce or in a sarcastic way.

Dark Muse
07-10-2012, 01:36 AM
I have the feeling that if you find the title offensive, you will see the entire play as a moral outrage.

It basically is the story of a man who dominates and abuses the woman he owns into submission and obedience. At the time it was written, physically beating your wife was acceptable, even expected, if she "deserved" it.

There exist many ways to interpret the intent, and whether it should be taken literally or not is debated as well. I took it literal, and therefore found it repulsive, but many take it as a farce or in a sarcastic way.

I agree, I really tried to be open minded about this play and I have had many people tell me that I should not take it literally, and that it is meant to be satirical, and though I made a great effort not to let myself be too much influence by modern thinking, I strongly disliked this play and found it very hard not to take literally.

cacian
07-10-2012, 05:14 AM
I agree, I really tried to be open minded about this play and I have had many people tell me that I should not take it literally, and that it is meant to be satirical, and though I made a great effort not to let myself be too much influence by modern thinking, I strongly disliked this play and found it very hard not to take literally.

I agree and after few thoughs I guess that to be open minded about a book that isn't is not that easy.

kelby_lake
07-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I enjoyed this play. The key to understanding it is the Induction- the play you're reading is a play-within-a-play, put on as entertainment for the grotesque figure Christopher Sly. It's mocking his patriarchal fantasy.

Charles Darnay
07-10-2012, 09:38 PM
I enjoyed this play. The key to understanding it is the Induction- the play you're reading is a play-within-a-play, put on as entertainment for the grotesque figure Christopher Sly. It's mocking his patriarchal fantasy.

This is key. But I also think that people don't give Kate enough credit. Yes she is confined to the ending her genre demands, but she is strong enough to transform Petruccio's abuse into comedy. I think that once you start looking at the comedy stemming from her and not him you may enjoy it more.

kelby_lake
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
This is key. But I also think that people don't give Kate enough credit. Yes she is confined to the ending her genre demands, but she is strong enough to transform Petruccio's abuse into comedy. I think that once you start looking at the comedy stemming from her and not him you may enjoy it more.

Agreed. Her submission speech has often been played as either ironic or a perverse triumph over the other wives.

shug
07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
If you find the play offensive, I suggest you see the Burton/Taylor film.

Like all of Shakespeare's plays, TTOTS is very open to the spin the director choses to put upon it.

kelby_lake
07-13-2012, 11:53 AM

Like all of Shakespeare's plays, TTOTS is very open to the spin the director choses to put upon it.

Definitely, although I don't like the idea of tacking on tragic undertones to compensate for perceived misogyny.

cacian
07-13-2012, 12:26 PM

sorry what is TTOTS?

Charles Darnay
07-13-2012, 09:28 PM
sorry what is TTOTS?

The taming of the shrew

kelby_lake
07-14-2012, 01:02 PM
As for being offensive, George C. Odell said that Measure for Measure and All's Well That Ends Well were so disgusting that he thought they should never be performed and wished that Shakespeare had never written them.

Charles Darnay
07-14-2012, 01:46 PM
As for being offensive, George C. Odell said that Measure for Measure and All's Well That Ends Well were so disgusting that he thought they should never be performed and wished that Shakespeare had never written them.

Half-blasphemy! Measure for Measure is one of the greatest of Shakespeare's plays! All's Well I could do without, although I certainly enjoyed it much more the second time through than the first. But, who does it offend? Isabella and Helena? Helena is very much a Rosalind figure - lesser in every way - but suffers the same comedic ending: as strong as she is, and as superior to her male counterpart, she subjects herself to him.

Isabella is forced into a marriage with notable silence at the end. Is this offensive? or does it showcase the tragic position of strong women in the world?

anisha9037
07-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Shakespeares plays are either a reflection of the society relevant even today or present an ironical or satirical approach to the society which is again relevant even in the present day world. while reading a text you should not be prejudiced only then will you be able to grasp the essence of it.

kelby_lake
07-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Half-blasphemy! Measure for Measure is one of the greatest of Shakespeare's plays!

I agree!

shug
07-18-2012, 05:34 AM

What nonsense. The National Theatre did a superb "All's Well" a few years ago that caught the sense of the ambiguous ending perfectly.

The version from the BBC Shakespeare Series of the early 80's is also excellent.

cacian
07-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Shakespeares plays are either a reflection of the society relevant even today or present an ironical or satirical approach to the society which is again relevant even in the present day world. while reading a text you should not be prejudiced only then will you be able to grasp the essence of it.

Interesting you bring the word Prejudice up.
Whilst your recommend that one deos not use prejudice when reading but then isn't the book itself is based on it?
How is one supposed to reciprocate or feel when the book itself is full of it?

cacian
07-18-2012, 05:51 AM
What nonsense. The National Theatre did a superb "All's Well" a few years ago that caught the sense of the ambiguous ending perfectly.

The version from the BBC Shakespeare Series of the early 80's is also excellent.

well I tend to agree with C.Odell because it takes one to know one.
If Shakespeare involved himself in such topics then he must have experience or them. He would not have such an impact in depicting them so true to life without having lived thought or even applied them himself.

cacian
07-18-2012, 03:41 PM
The taming of the shrew

Thanks Charles the wonders of abbreviations never ceases to amase.

kelby_lake
07-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Whilst your recommend that one deos not use it when reading something but isn't the book itself is based on prejudicism?

Not at all. If anything, it's attacking patriarchy.

pitchford
07-18-2012, 11:07 PM
I read an article recently that indicated the word _shrew_ could be used in reference to some males in the Renaissance. Check the O.E.D. on that.

shug
07-21-2012, 03:46 AM
well I tend to agree with C.Odell because it takes one to know one.

That's the most disappointing thing I've read on this forum so far. :sad:

cacian
07-21-2012, 04:12 AM
I read an article recently that indicated the word _shrew_ could be used in reference to some males in the Renaissance. Check the O.E.D. on that.
Thank you pitchford but what is OED I am useless on abbreviations:frown5:

That's the most disappointing thing I've read on this forum so far. :sad:

Hi shug it was not meant to disappoint at all and I am sorry if it did.
I could not help but wonder about the amount of knowledge shown in the this story and about this particular topic one must have had first hand in it one way or another how else would one explain the details of it all?

kelby_lake
08-11-2012, 02:58 PM
OED is the Oxford English Dictionary.