PDA

View Full Version : Question

Stephen
08-03-2002, 01:00 AM
Who knows? The whole affair happened before the book began; possibly Hawthorne wanted that to be left to our imagination. Or perhaps he didn't think much about it himself, since the Scarlet Letter was originally written as a short story before he stretched it into a novel. <br><br>All in all, though, I think Dimmesdale is a nice guy (except that he's a bit too critical of himself); I guess he and Hester just talked to each other a lot and eventually got close.

Unregistered
10-23-2002, 01:00 AM
Hester loved the priest because she slept with him. Obviously she knew the mistake she was making when she cheated on her husband and got pregnant. He was a minister so he couldn't tell everyone it was him in the beginning. That was against his religion so basically he was a coward. Hester loved him so therefore she kept the sectret also.

Unregistered
02-06-2003, 02:00 AM
Who can say why anyone loves anyone? Dimmsdale seemed to be a good guy, who just made one mistake that ate away at him for the rest of his life. Sure he was cowardly to hide his sin from everyone, and wrong to commit the sin in the first place, but not many pople in influential positions do ever own up to things they have done; Dimmsdale just had enough morals that he couldn't make his guilt go away. Hester loved him enough not to tell, and who can say why she loved him? Sometimes love just happens, and you don't know why.

Unregistered
04-22-2003, 01:00 AM
i really don't know... truthful, it is ok if you don't like it :)

susan
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
It's a good story. I like Pearl a lot. But I don't like Hester. I don't understand why she loved the priest. Does anyone can tell me why?