PDA

View Full Version : none

Unregistered
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
I completey agree. This book had to be one of the worst I have ever read! After reading the painfully long and boring introduction, I was already ready to throw the book away. I highly recommend NOT reading this book, unless you enjoy books that put you to sleep!

Tom
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
This book really isn't that bad in the whole scheme of things, ever read Crime and Punishment? Besides most teenagers won't read unless they are forced to which automatically puts a damper on the book. The Scarlet Letter is a deep look at the human psyche of guilt and religion, it really gets you thinking if you let it. If you go into it looking to simply be entertained you aren't going to get anything out of it. I would be careful before slapping the garbage rating on anything, especially a book considered to be one of the great american classics.

Jaz
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
Ok, so this book is pretty boring in the beginning. But once you get into it it's really a pretty alright book. Don't get me wrong it's no where near my must read list. However, as far as school books go it definitely isn't the worst. I actually thought that if Hawthorne would stop dragging his thoughts out and just wrote what was on his mind the book may have been better. But, all things considered, it wasn't the worst and it definitely wasn't the best. As far as the Ethan Frome comment, call me crazy, but I actually liked that book!!!

Chelles
02-14-2005, 02:27 PM
WE had to read this book in my english class it was ok it was nowhere near the best book i evr read but it also wasnt the worst i jus wish for once in school we got to read sumthin that wont put me to sleep when i try to do my homework

Sarah M
03-21-2005, 02:47 PM
I'd agree that it is not a fun or enjoyable book to read. I also agree with the notion that Hawthorne "spoon feeds" the reader his opinions about the characters by overnarration. However, I read it as part of a group, which made the digestion of material and drawing meanings and opinions from the text easier and, if not interesting, then bearable. Using Sparknotes or Cliffs was also helpful. I find it equally unfortunate that Hawthorn drags the descriptions out SO LONG that young readers do not get to the good literary heart of the novel.

peg
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
This had to be the most horrible book I've ever read. I don't mean to offend anyone.....but yeeecccch! My 40S Lit teacher allowed us to vote on our next novel, and all these silly girls voted for this book!! Because we were told it was a romance!! ( A similiar thing happened last year, with another stinker: Ethan Frome)<br>As a teenager, I want to read something interesting in High School, not this garbage!!!