PDA

View Full Version : School Assignment regarding power in Shakespeare's poetry

sarahmary95
05-17-2012, 10:10 PM
The question for the assignment is:

Your lecture must address the work of Shakespeare and how his poetry contributed to, or reflected ideas about 'power' in the era in which the poet lived and worked. In your lecture, you must include a detailed discussion of at least two poems by Shakespeare.

At the moment I am choosing between Sonnet 21, 71 and 91

Any help would be appreciated whether it is to do with power, the era or the sonnets.

Regarding the power it can be about how the power of love or nature contributed to or reflected society in that era.

Update:
I'm thinking maybe about the Power of Death (like what it holds over life and love etc.) focusing on Sonnets 71 and 74.

Any thoughts on these sonnets or the theme of power within them

For Sonnet 71:

It speculates on the memory that lasts after death, especially in the mind of his beloved. This provides a focus on the power that death holds over loved ones in the poet's life and society. Especially in the Elizabethan era when magic and superstition was held high in society and people were quite fearful of death and how death occurs.

For Sonnet 74:

This Sonnet is the last of Shakespeare's that focuses on death. It focuses on spirits and this links back to how the Elizabethan people were superstitious and beleived in magic. It provides a way that the person can triumph over the body's death. It links to other Sonnet's of his talking about the unity of lovers.

That's just basically some initial thoughts that I've had so far. Any other new information on further investigation I could do into these sonnets or this theme?