PDA

View Full Version : Vindicated!

Ella
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
At first glance, I thought that I would dislike the novel. I had to read and write an essay on it for my senoir English class in high school. The book bewildered me initially, with it's melodrama, constant preternatural comparisons, and sophisticated vernacular. But the romantic imagery is the mesmerizing melody and the text are the captivating lyrics. The way Hawthrone stylized the novel is it's heartbeat, a lot like Shakespeare. These types of works might take some readers awhile to groove to the rhthym of the words. It is one of the most original, inspiring and auspicious literary work available. You must read the entire novel because it does start off slow but it will allure even the skeptics. Give it chance! <br>And Pearl is so comical. She is so resilient against the taunting town children, throwing rocks at them! Pearl is preternatural to everyone she encounters including her mother, Hester. She personifies the cruelty and relentless beauty of nature. Always curious and questioning the conventions of society because nature has no laws or authority to answer to. A quick glance and Pearl appears impulsive yet welcoming like the forest she frequently wonders. She is the charming, little enigma of novel. The driving force that all the characters fear to reckon with.<br>Even if you passionately hate this book, it is still reverent and relevant to venture upon. It attempts to open people's perspective on the struggles to be yourself, and respect others on a different learning curve than you. I view this as a teaching tool to end rigid, societal conventions as a facade for righteouness to condemn or ostercize the people who struggle to live in the fringes. It just might open your eyes.<br>Hands down, this is one of my favourite books! It vindicates us to dream and pursue the ardous fight to be ourselves against all odds. ;P