PDA

View Full Version : My ideas

loeur
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
All the comments I have read so far are uneducated stabs at how The Scarlet Letter appears. How can Hawthorne be criticized for writing a "boring" novel. I admit that there is little action and the layered meanings and style of writing is somewhat difficult to comprehend but reading the novel more than once will allow for a larger grasp of Hawthorne's ideas. Each word in The Scarlet Letter is there for a reason, carefully chosen and loaded with meaning. Semiotics, allegory, transcendentalism, Puritanism and feminism are wll represented throughout the novel and finding the symbols which uncover these themes and ideas is half the beauty of it. If all novels were easy to understand and straight-forward how would we be testing our minds if we read them? We need stimulation in order for beneficial growth and a challenging novel is ideal. If studied and read properly The Scarlet Letter should fulfil its potential and if you are narrow-minded and unwilling to open your views then I suggest you read this inspiring novel. I know many people who have loved it just as I have. Thank you for listening. x x