PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I must admit, in all honesty, that I have read better books and that this one did not particularly suit my taste. However, those of you who rate this book as overrated or boring have seriously missed the boat. Hawthorne packs in symbolism and themes in an absolutely genius manner. If you re-read every word you will find multiple meanings in every choice of adjective and noun. Then of course the overall effect of the book is astounding. What is righteous? What is evil? Is Hester evil for her commiting adultery or does her beauty fade because she becomes righteous as is expected in Puritan New England? Perhaps her beauty actually fades as a result of her sin, much like the fading of Dimmesdale's character. Is Chillingworth evil because of his behavior or is he evil only after his interaction with the Indians who taught him witchcraft, but his behavior is not inherently evil? This book poses many questions and does not deliver answers in the hopes that the reader will be prompted to manipulate the ideas in his/her mind. Apparently todays readers fail to do this. Hawthorne is turning in his grave.