PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Katie
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I absolutely adore The Scarlet Letter. Hawthorne's attention to detail is incredible and the manner in which he deals with moral and human issues such as sin, guilt, and passion is truly remarkable. With the lust that exists between Hester and Dimmesdale, Hawthorne explores the effects of unconfessed sin on the human heart. It is incredible at how close he falls to the actual mark. Granted parts of the book are difficult to get through, but there must be some level of appreciation for this great piece of literature. I am not a huge fan of the classics, or even other Romantic writing of the time, but the skill and mastery with which Hawthorne articulates the very issues that bear upon all of our hearts is definitely something that is worth a deeper look than many of you give it. This book is more than needless characterizations and "junk," and I believe you're missing out if you don't see that. I think the most important issue of all that Hawthorne was addressing, though, is not that Dimmesdale was an awful man. The sin in this story was not specific to him, but rather is a characteristic of all humanity. A similar theme to this is seen in "The Minister's Black Veil." I think it very silly to say that women are the stronger sex because Hester lived her life in the light of her sin, while Dimmesdale hid his face from the world, because Hawthorne's point is that their roles could easily have been reversed. His writing is almost an exhortation or an admonishment against secret sin. The fact that these are deep and terrifying themes present in all of our lives and yet we refuse to acknowledge them, makes Hawthorne's writing all the more interesting to read.