PDA

View Full Version : Why did Pip fall in love with Estella?

kev67
04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
I know Estella was beautiful, but she was horrible to young Pip. Why did he fall in love her? Somehow it seems completely plausible.

wordeater
04-20-2012, 07:18 PM
I know Estella was beautiful, but she was horrible to young Pip. Why did he fall in love her? Somehow it seems completely plausible.

Imagine that a beautiful girl from a higher social class behaves condescendingly towards a boy and then allows him to give her one kiss on the cheek. Of course that starts him hoping for more.

kev67
04-21-2012, 07:47 AM
That seems to be the only bit of encouragement she gives him. Even they he said he didn't enjoy it that much because he felt it was given as a sort of payment for winning the fight.

kev67
04-23-2012, 04:12 PM
I think it's also her self composure he admires. She closed the gate on his uncle Pumblechook who Pip detests. She also asks an impertinent question to one of the sychophants who arrive at Satis House hoping to persuade Miss Havisham to leave them her money. He said she was about his own age but behaved as if she was 'one-and-twenty and a queen'. Pip cannot behave imperiously like that because he would receive a beating from his grown up sister. Estella can because she is being raised not to care about hurting other people's feelings.

Also, Estella can behave like she does because no one can tell her off for fear of offending Miss Havisham.

kev67
05-09-2012, 01:46 PM
I suppose another possibility is that somehow she becomes psychologically mixed up with Pip's wish to better himself. Pip already had a latent desire to improve himself. He was eager to learn to read and write before ever going to Satis House. Estella then made him feel socially inferior and working class, which turned Pip's desire for self improvement into social climbing and snobbery. He wanted to become the sort of gentleman who could marry a girl like Estella. I think this is suggested. I suppose you'd have to be a psychologist to know if this sort of thing is possible in real life.