PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
11-06-2002, 02:00 AM
This is what is wrong with our society today. Maybe if you would take the time out to become EDUCATED, instead of taking the easy way out, by copying people's ideas, you would become a better educated person. It is true that the book is difficult to read, but if you take the time out, it would be worth your while. There are universal themes of guilt and sin, and compassion etc. that will help you to become a more educated person, and a more worthwhile member of society!

Kiley
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
i totally agree with your point of view for the story.. it sucked i dont understand how any one could read this mess.. it is boring and not well written.. if they want us to read books they need to make them so we CAN understand them.. in my case i had just little "check" test on chapters so i read spark notes.. if you are a upcomming teacher and reading this i think you should not put your students through this tourture..(that is spelled wrong)... but any way.. i want to give a lot of credit to SPARKNOTES... you rule... thanks KILEY~!

Unregistered
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
You people are pathetic. Honestly, I can picture both of you right now, lazy and very uneducated from the sounds of it. I am not neccesarily defending this book, but for you to criticize Hawthorne and his way of writing, when you both havent even scratched the surface of his stories is just lame. I have read this book and it is a work of a genius. To quote Kiley...it is boring and not well written.. if they want us to read books they need to make them so we CAN understand them....if you actually took the time to try to understand, things would come a lot easier.<br><br>i pity both of you.<br><br>p.s. im in the 9th grade.

Vanessa
06-07-2004, 01:00 AM
It's no wonder none of you enjoyed the novel...you are all idiots.

Vanessa
06-07-2004, 01:00 AM
I repeat, you are all idiots. I can't believe you just said that "they need to make them so we can understand them." I'm sure Hawthorne, along with any other classic author, would be rolling over in his grave if he heard all these ignorant kids complaining that they can't read his novels. On the other hand, I can see how The Scarlet Letter might confuse someone who can't spell 'upcoming,' 'torture,' and 'anyway' and is obviously unaware of the English language's rules for punctuation use, amongst other things. You have forced me to agree with Mr. Anonymous' opinion on the sad state of our culture today!

Unregistered
06-09-2004, 01:00 AM
that dude anon is dumb...EDUCATED...wtf....this is not education....this is a dumb book that is obsolete<br><br>education is dumb...they teach you so much in school and you end up forgeting the crap because most of the crap they teach, is useless information and things that u will never use in real life...<br><br>education my butt.....just filling my head with useless info<br><br>mark twain - never let school get into the way of ur education

Unregistered
02-05-2005, 08:50 PM
it appeals to some and doesn't appeal to others. i personally think it was dragged out - the themes and symbols could have been brought down to about 50 pages, and its definitely not suited for highschool - maybe classes in symbolism. still, if you don't have the balls to just read it you should really shouldn't have an opinion.

Unregistered
02-11-2005, 04:21 PM
yeah i give a TON of credit to Sparknotes! they helped alot with this cause even though this book has a deep meaning and **** but heck! why does it have to suck so much! Nathanial Hawthorne should have been shot and this should be a what not to do example for expiring writers

Unregistered
02-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Dear "Little Me": Reading your response to The Scarlet Letter was sad. Your comments, if true, indicate a poor attitude, which is sad. The way people write and speak is like a billboard advertising Your product which is your self. Hawthorne's book was written in the 19th c., in language much different from ours as far as style goes. I wish you had an open mind and would have read the book and let it be itself. You have missed a great opportunity.

Susan
02-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Hooray for those who responded in defense of Hawthorne and giving his works a chance. What amazes me is that back in the 18th and 17th centuries, kids around 11-14 were reading in Greek and Latin, and could do higher math. And here we have 14 year olds and older who haven't got the "guts" to read something written well. I think this reflects badly on those kids and Perhaps even on their parents who may not have provided a home environment which made learning exciting. Reading is an adventure. What wimps we have met through those uneducated responses where the writers cannot even spell correctly.

dustin summers
03-11-2005, 05:33 PM
i loved this book is was so awsome and i wish their was a sequel

you all suck.
03-17-2005, 11:47 AM
If you want to rant about things like Hawthorne, you don't have to come here to do it. The web is like a good movie- it's wasted on immature brats like yourselves. Stop telling us about what grade you're in, stop calling each other "lazy and very uneducated," we all know that middle school students have a lot of angst to work out.<br><br>Peace, stupid kids.

Siffion
03-18-2005, 01:02 PM
I am very mixed on this subject. Though most of the book used allegory way to much, I didnt think the oversimplified portions of the book were enough to ruin a otherwise great story and superb work of anti transcendentalism.

Unregistered
04-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Perhaps you didn't like that book because you didn't actually read it!!!! Don't give an opinion on something about which you have no knowledge.

Unregistered
04-27-2005, 04:23 PM
you don'y need to be educated to enjoy a book. u need to be educated to understand it....i understood every word and still thought it was a horrible terrible book. just cuz u have different tasted in books people doesn't mean we're stupid because we don't like your nerdy crapy books.

Charles
04-28-2005, 10:55 AM
To the ones who don't like the book, this is a really good book on morals, and sin, real love, etc. I'm a junior in a high school in Georgia. I half agree with you ont he part that it's a hard book to understand. I'm a smart student, I make straight A's, but English was never and is not my strong subject. Literature and English just have not came to me easily. But, back to the book. I read it on my own. My teacher explained it to me, and even I understood it very well. And the ones that said if you don't take the time to try to understand, then your obviously not going to understand it. I don't liek school either, but it's one of those things that you will have to do to make anything out of yourself, other than a useless waste of air. I personally enjoyed the book. I've read better, but I have also read much worse.

PhantasmicClef as the LongeBane
04-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Of course anyone who didn't like the book didn't get the point of it in the first place. The book was not to educate you; the book was Hawthorne's view on Puritan society. <br><br>It was school that tried to extract the ideas of the book and make it educational. They are trying to teach you the key points of the book (the plot is just filler). If you missed the point- the book becomes useless.<br><br>I may be actually a hyprocryte saying this because I couldn't STAND reading the book (I have no attention span) and ended up using spark notes--and initially, intensely disliked this book. But alas, I did get the point. I understand the reason why such an author wrote such a book. Then I reread the book and now I appreciate this book.<br><br>I win!

Little Me
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I HATED the scarlet letter. it was a waste of my time. im sorry i mean for those who like books this is pretty good i guess sure whatever you say but dude man this was such a waste of my time and if it werent for school i wouldve never picked it up. but then again i have to thank this site cause it helped me alot since the book was too boring i never read it but the begining was boring and reading all this helped me out on my essays and stuff