PDA

View Full Version : Thesis Help

ZerrodW
04-02-2012, 04:22 PM
I have a paper due and I am really bad at writing proper thesis statements. My prompt is: Marlow says that he detests lies at one point. Does this implied (and elsewhere stated) preference for truth hold constant it the novel? What is the "truth" that Marlow discovers, and does Marlow seem to understand his own character in light of that truth, or does he remain confused about his interests and beliefs?.. It would be helpful if anybody is able to help me with this!

Charles Darnay
04-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Well the best place to start would be listing everything you know about Marlow (particularly as it relates to his idea of truth, or if you can't do this, his view of right or wrong.) Once you have a this list, see how the points fit together and you may have better luck creating a thesis.

ZerrodW
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Thank you. I will try this.

Greeneyk
03-27-2015, 04:55 PM
Marlow's disapproval of lies does not hold constant for the entire novel. Marlow ends up lying to Kurtz's intended to give her closure of Kurtz's death. The "truth" Marlow realizes at the end of the novel is that unless you have gone to Africa and witnessed European's imperialistic actions, you would be ignorant of the horrid treatment of the natives by Europeans. Marlow seems understand himself in the end as he doesn't present conflicting views on the same subject matter as he did. An example of this would be when he seemed to idolize Kurtz in every manner and then only admire Kurtz for his words.