PDA

View Full Version : Essay question or thesis statement

GermanFan93
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Hey people!

I have to write a research paper for my English literature subject. I decided it would be about David Copperfield, but I can't make up my mind for any good essay question or thesis statement. My essay has to be 3-5 pages long, so it can’t be too wide. Do you have any suggestions, please share it with me, I don’t have so much knowledge over Copperfield (yet).

Thanks!

Marie

Hawkman
03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
How can you possibly write an essay about any aspect of a book you have not yet read? Why did you choose this book? Was it set? Presumably there is a deadline for this essay and unless it is reasonably distant, and you are a very swift reader, you probably won't make it. If you have a choice over subject I'd recommend you pick a volume of which you have, at least, a superficial knowledge, and can discuss from a platform suitably positioned to allow you to dive in without experiencing the detrimental consequences of Tombstoning. If not, then get reading!

RicMisc
03-30-2012, 12:24 PM
I can't help you on figuring out a thesis statement, but if you might find yourself in need of information and you don't feel like reading the book (or there's not a sufficient amount of time) try sparknotes.com. It's always better to read the book but I know all about having no time to read or just not wanting to read the book.

Charles Darnay
03-30-2012, 05:01 PM
For an essay this short, its generally good to focus on a single character, or even closely analyze a pivotal (or interesting) scene.

GermanFan93
04-01-2012, 08:49 AM
@Hawkman : Yes, I fully understand your point; I should have knowledge about what I write. This book wasn’t set, I chose it because I have, of course, read and heard about it before, and since I have English literature I thought it would be a good subject for my task. I think the story is interesting and I want to know more, so I was thinking of that I could use my research paper to do so (it’s probably a bad idea), but I do know, that it will be challenging for me. I will use some more time to think.

@RicMisc : Thanks, yes I think I will use Sparknotes a lot, I don't have so much time for reading, sadly.

@Charles Darnay : Good idea, thank you!

constancesaltz
05-19-2012, 06:53 AM
For the tips and format of essay writing, you can have access to essay writing reviews (http://essayboards.com/). I hope this will help you to write the essay..

peggynevers
07-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Read about David Copperfield. Don’t forget read about its reviews. Thesis statement is the foundation of the entire work and informs the reader exactly what you wish to achieve with the paper, what you wish to prove or disprove. The four step plan to writing a good thesis statement.

Assertive: Your thesis statement must state exactly what you intend to prove with the paper.

Singular: The thesis statement, in most cases, should contain only one idea, keeping the paper focused.

Specificity: The thesis statement should be as specific as possible, whilst making your stance clear. One sentence is enough for shorter papers.

Position: It should be in the introduction, in most cases at the very end.
If still you didn’t get any idea about your research paper, you can buy essays (http://essayscouncil.com) from writing companies too.

jaimehamby
08-13-2012, 07:32 AM
No doubt about that David Copperfield is clearly the better magician. You should very cleaver when writing about him. I think best essays writing reviews (http://essaysorigin.com/) help you to find good essays.