PDA

View Full Version : Julius Caesar and the Ides of March

Charles Darnay
03-14-2012, 07:50 PM
So the Ides of March are come. Every year at this time I commemorate the spirit of Caesar by reading Julius Caesar. I find that this is one of those plays that really divides people, you either love or hate it. So for those who have read or seen it, what are your thoughts?

Hawkman
03-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Aye, Ceasar, but not gone. I really like the film version. Gielgud as Cassius did indeed have a lean and hungry look, James Mason made a stunning Brutus and Brando's Marc Anthony was memorable. Funny, the chap who played Ceasar made no impression at all! Poor Louis Calhern - lol. I love the play, personally.

Pierre Menard
03-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Love it!
One of my favourite Shakespeare plays. I was enthralled throughout.

Marc Antony's speech is excellent, something I've re-read multiple times.

Charles Darnay
03-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Love it!
One of my favourite Shakespeare plays. I was enthralled throughout.

Marc Antony's speech is excellent, something I've re-read multiple times.

I have to agree. It is my fall-back audition piece. And when comparing Antony's speech to Bruts' before it, you see how brilliant the whole thing is.

lorenzo
03-22-2012, 03:20 AM
If you visit the site
www.yourdailyshakespeare.com there is an unusual recent take on the Ides of March. It has to be recent given the proximity of dates. As you can see a Shakespeare based blog is added daily

lorenzo
03-22-2012, 03:26 AM
You may have an interest in visit the site
www.yourdailyshakespeare.com
where there is a somewhat different twist on the Ides of March and the well known related quote.
It is a somewhat unusual site but totally Shakespeare based

lorenzo
03-22-2012, 03:27 AM
Sorry for the double entry. I got confused when I pressed 'quote' and I got a message that the text was too short or similar.
I know that "... excusing of a fault doth make the fault the worse by the excuse..."

cacian
03-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Interesting topic and a very good link to.
I will have a read myself but I was just wondering what the title actually mean I am still not clear on it.
Any ideas?

Charles Darnay
03-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Which title?

cacian
03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Which title?

Hi Charles
I mean the Ides of March.:smile5: