PDA

View Full Version : A truly wonderful book

Eva
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I read Pride and Prejudice for the first time three years ago, when I found it on my parent's bookshelf. I flicked through the pages, reading pieces at random, and then decided to just start at the beginning.<br>I believe I was through it in less than four days.<br>I had heard about the book several times before, usually referred to as 'an all-time favourite' or 'simply amazing'. As soon as I read it I couldn't do anything but totally agree.<br><br>So far I have read P&P five times, both in English and Dutch (my mother-language), and since I am only fourteen and probably have much longer to live, I think this number is still to grow.<br>Right now I am writing a book report on it for English (that's how I found this site in the first place - good site by the way) after deciding that I had way too little time to start reading a completely new book.<br>While looking through the amazing amount of books lying through my room, I picked P&P up immediately when I saw it.<br><br>After P&P I started in Emma, which is also good, I have seen the film of Sense and Sensibility, and I still have to read all her other novels (I have just started on Persuasion).<br><br>I also highly respect Austen's remarkable insight on society, and (even though she never married herself) marriage. I can of course not say whether she was right about everything concerning this, since I do not live in the 18th century, nor am I married, but somehow it all seems to make sense to me. And there are respectively few things that do, trust me.<br><br>Would that she was still alive to write more!<br><br>Anyway, if you have not yet read the book, you surely should.<br>