PDA

View Full Version : Blah.

nar
04-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Keep up the good work son... i couldnt agree more... this is a sloppy pathetic novel for lonely pathetic housewives that have no life.. the only decent characters are Mr bennett... because he ridicules his annoying missus at all times, and mr Darcy... because he scores by being a rude and arrogant prick....... does that bare any resemblence to real life... or if it does... does it it last ? no... That is my opinion. <br><br>

Ted
04-15-2005, 11:40 AM
More power to you! I didn't like the book either.<br><br>But you are NOT open-minded, dude. Your next-to-last paragraph was so funny I did a double take. Quote: "No one can contest this with me. I don't care what you have to say. In my mind this book is crap. I am a very open-minded person...."<br><br>1) You go on a page-long rant about your opinion.<br>2) You won't listen to a single other differing opinion.<br>3) You make sweeping statements about the purpose of period pieces and the worth of the moral "marry for love, not money" (just 2 examples of your "humble opinion").<br>No problem with any of that. But in the end you call yourself open-minded! Don't flatter yourself, please.

Harry McNamara
04-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Fair enough on all that about the characters being too shallow for you, the action being lacking, etc., but you are neither open-minded nor humble. I also found this book boring and kept wanting to turn on the football, however I don't think girls are fools or brainwashed for liking it. Consider that your idea of real morals ('war and racism are bad') would probably bore many people to death, and not just girls, as they've now been done so many times they're the most obvious morals in the world. Your definition of a good period piece as elluminating an 'important' event like a war would probably bore some people as well, and your 'unimportant' topic of girls finding husbands with money was probably the most important thing females were allowed to do in the 1800s. OK, it's hard for a modern guy to enjoy this type of book, but if you think it's trash and it wasn't worthy of being written you are about as open-minded as George W Bush.<br><br>Many of us find girls' entertainment boring and vice versa but we can't with any logic say we're right and they're wrong.

++
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
For all those who think that this book is amazing, or fabulous, or *whatever*, you can go on thinking that. I have no problem with people that enjoy this novel (or whatever you'd like to call it, "literary masterpiece"). I, on the other hand, am simple disgusted with this book.<br><br>This is not a book I would ever read on my own time. This is not a book I would go out of my way to read- heck, I don't even understand why it is called a "literary classic". As far as I'm concerned, it is a worthless piece of crap.<br><br>I'm not going to be sexist here- or at least, I'm going to try not to be, but I just can't help it. I bet a majority of the people that enjoyed this book were female. Why? Because society has brought up females to like dolls, to wear make-up, and keep diaries. In the same way, women like Romantic-comedies, whilst most guys would rather, say, watch a football game or an action movie or whatever.<br><br>Of course, this is a very broad stereotype- I comprehend that there are exceptions to the rule. However, in my belief, this book was written by a woman, FOR women. Because all it's about is a bunch of girls falling in love with guys.<br><br>Even if it was JUST about a bunch of girls falling in love with guys, I wouldn't have a huge problem with that... The thing that annoys ME is how intolerable ALL the characters are. How uneducated most of them are- and the ones that are educated are total snobs about it. How about the fact that all the characters can do is gossip about personality (ie: how much they like to dance) and how wealthy they are. I mean, seriously, this is NOT an intellectual book.<br><br>There is barely a single character with even one redeeming feature. The book not only puts me to sleep, but I spend the time awake when I approach it rolling my eyes at how unrealistic or stupid it is.<br><br>My main train of thinking leads me to believe that the fault with the book is the fact that it has no center- no grounding. It is basically a novel about a bunch of silly little girls who have horrible parents that want to marry them off to someone rich as soon as possible. They don't even really care about anything except that- because they have no real lives.<br><br>The book has no purpose. There's no real moral- like "War is bad. We all loose in war." Even a book I loathed (which I was also forced to read, and is also meant to be a "literary classic"), To Kill a Mockingbird had MORE of a center and grounding than this piece of trash. It was basically that "Racism is bad." which is a far better moral than "Marry someone for love." or whatever crap this novel is spewing.<br><br>If there is an actual moral to this novel, I sure as heck haven't figure out what it is! I can't figure out why the Ministry of Education would ever force anyone to read this garbage- unless they were trying to show us how to write a bad novel.<br><br>Look, I'm not saying Jane Austen is a bad author- I've never read any of her other pieces, but what I *can* say is that this book is a piece of absolute nonsense. It's a sappy awful stupid romance that isn't even a romance. It's more of a bunch of idiots gossiping about each other endlessly.<br><br>Some make the excuse "Oh, it's a period piece!" or whatever. But is it? Yes. But period pieces are usually important because they indicate why a certain important event in history occured (ie: a piece written before World War I in Austria that explains the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, and therefore leads up to why World War I began or whatever), but this piece of garbage portrays an unimportant time for that unimportant location- which would have been better off never being documented.<br><br>This novel is as pathetic, (in my humble opinion), as any single one of it's characters. They are all weak, stupid people. They live their stupid little unimportant lives, never going anywhere. To put it simply, I have read a lot of great novels in my time, most of them I love. I've tried to read this book three times no, and basically given up every time. I handing in my assignment on it late and paying the price because of this piece of crap novel.<br><br>It's not my fault- I don't care what you say. This is simply the WORST novel I've ever read (or been forced to read). It is dull, boring, awful, crappy, whatever you wish to use to describe it.<br><br>I have endlessly amounts of proof, but I doubt you want me to go through them. The fact that the first 13 chapters alone involve nothing but people sitting around in their houses, talking about books, writing, and social graces, or going to dances aught to be a good indication of how pathetic these lives are.<br><br>And you know what? It is somewhat accurate. There still are people that are snobby. There still ARE people that gossip about each other. You know what else? I make it a point not to make friends with them and I stay away from them... so why would I want to read a novel about such fools?<br><br>I think my point is made. No one can contest this with me. I don't care what you have to say. In my mind this book is crap. I am a very open-minded person, but this book is trash. It is NOT a great piece of literature, and never will be. I wish Jane Austen had never written it, and I wish I never had to read it.<br><br>Maybe some people are entertained by this crap because they don't have to think- but to me it's the same thing as watching Reality TV Shows... or sun-tanning. Gives me a head-ache, makes me tired and bored, and annoys the heck out of me- all at the same time (and not particularly in that order.)