PDA

View Full Version : Pride and Prejudice

Kylie
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I must confess that my love for Jane Austen only developed in adulthood. I to had been put through the torture of reading Emma at school for the final exams. Slogging through the million chapters seemed like a lesson in discipline rather than in literature. As an adult after my postgraduate study I picked up pride and Prejudice and was flicking through the pages while packing up my notes. I couldn't put it down. Once you stop expecting minute by minute action and give yourself over the times and the context, you can appriecate the delicious irony and sarcasm of Austen's writing. Every chapter took me to world I can never be part. Austen's sarcasm and authorial intrusive comments on the society of the time had me hooked. Every holiday I immerce myself in another Austen novel but Pride and Prejudice remains my favourite. Mr Darcy truely remains the greatest male character ever!

amirah_almas
05-29-2005, 11:23 PM
i had read pride and prejudice, sense and sensibility and wuthering heights as part of a uni program. i found the characters of Elizabeth Bennett and Darcy pretty interesting. I have also found that sentiments which were expressed in Austen's time have not greatly changed in this day and age. To some extent, relationships are valued. Not in the match-making scene of Austen, more in the dating scene.

arabian night
06-13-2005, 02:22 PM
i have read Pride and prejuidce by her only....and i found it a GREAT one, at first i hated mr Darcy when he refused to dance with poor lizy ....but then i found him nice....however do you recommend any other story by her??

mono
06-13-2005, 02:42 PM
If you liked Pride and Prejudice, I feel certain you would also enjoy Sense and Sensibility - both incredible works. Like everyone, I found Mr. Darcy very interesting, and a diverse character, but (finally!), amirah, I have found someone who also shares the affinity of Elizabeth! I adored her fascinating character, and probably found her as the most attention-getting in the novel. :)

arabian night
06-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Thank you mono, :) i will try to read it during my summer holiday which will begin soon.

amirah_almas
06-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi

you are right, mono. i do like the character of Elizabeth Bennett. I have always admired characters who have been able to stand up against the norms that society stands. Considering the way that women were expected to behave in Austen's time, Bennett's character is like a modern day woman - speaks out her mind and maintains her individuality. Pretty great that we share the same view on the character

learntodiscover
11-20-2007, 06:45 AM
I deffinitley agree, I tried to read Pride and prejudice when I was 15yrs and even though I like it I got distracted and stopped reading. I decided to read it again now at 18 and I feel as if I have apreciated the sarcasm and wit in the story. Darcy still remains my favourite character and elizabeth....well I'm not so sure about. I like that she speaks her mind but the way she believed on to every word Whickem said showed that she is not such a good judge of character, I was disapinted at times. Another thing that I felt I didn't like about Eliza was the fact that she was so quick to tell everybody how much she hated darcy that meant that she isn't very reserved and doesn't know when to hold back.
Ovarall I thought pride and prejudice was a wonderful book.......and it saddens me to know my A level english teacher despises jane austen:(

Kiddjcjkk
03-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I first had to read Pride and Prejudice aged 14 for english homework. I couldnt get into it and i was staying with my aunt. I cant remember whether she showed me the BBC version before or after i had slogged my way through the many chapters, but it was watching that which made me realise what an amazing novel it was. It has remained one of my favourite books ever, i have reread it several times in the 4 years that have passed, it is one of my favourite books, and now i have the delight of doing A Level coursework on it!!!! :D Happy days!

P&P
03-10-2008, 12:58 AM
I LOVE Mr. Darcy. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite Jane Austen's with Mansfield Park coming in a close second.
I love the 1995 movie, Colin Firth is the greatest Mr. Darcy actor in the world, in my opinion! =D

http://www.cafepress.com/elisedesigns/4908180

xombie
03-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Like Learntodiscover, I'd first tried to read Pride and Prejudice at 14 and immediately put it down after reaching the secnd page. But an year later, at fifteen, out of sheer boreom I perused through the pages and fell in love with the book! I adore Eliza's character, Darcy intrigues me and I really amire Jane Austen's wit. There are more than a few quotable quotes in the book, it's a beatiful piece of work. I confess I read it AT LEAST once every month and this month... it's my third time. Once I begin reading it, for the next few days I'm stuck with the old world English till my friends get down on their knees to protest :D

I haven't seen the 1995 movie, but the newest on is AH-MAZING!!!! Kiera Knightley has done an awesome job! Matthew McFayden is great too.

hollylite
02-23-2009, 11:44 AM
If you liked Pride and Prejudice, I feel certain you would also enjoy Sense and Sensibility - both incredible works. Like everyone, I found Mr. Darcy very interesting, and a diverse character, but (finally!), amirah, I have found someone who also shares the affinity of Elizabeth! I adored her fascinating character, and probably found her as the most attention-getting in the novel. :)

I have to agree w/ mono. Darcy is very different. I had to rate him on a scale 1 to 10, 1 hating him and 10 loving him, and I'm at a 7-8 right now; i'm getting closer to ten.:D

Clellie
06-13-2009, 03:26 PM
[FONT="Garamond"]When I was in the sixth grade, my mother made me and my siblings sit down to a BBC adaption of Jane Eyre. I was determined to be bored, and eventually left without absorbing any of the movie, to take a welcomed call from a friend.

It wasn't until I picked up the copy of Jane Eyre I had become accustomed to seeing dusty on my book shelf, and started reading, that I fell in love with it. I was so pleased with it, I decided that I would try Pride and Prejudice. Imagine my shock when I loved Pride and Prejudice even better!

I recently read Persuasion (I am just now finished the seventh grade), but remain that Pride and Prejudice is my favorite, and read some everyday. This summer I plan to attempt to read the rest of Austen's works.

My brother Cruce (just finished fifth grade) just recently started reading Pride and Prejudice, under my supervision. He's doing okay, just with some confusion over some of the dialogue, where a "said he," or "said she" would not be unappreciated.

I made him and my sister endure hours upon hours of the BBC Pride and Prejudice adaption, so he knows the story pretty well. I recently discovered that, among his other accomplishments, Cruce can do a darn good impression of Mrs. Bennet; I have thus adapted scripts from the novel, and acted out scripts with him and my sister. He plays Mrs. Bennet, I Mr. Bennet, and my sister whoever else happens to be in the scene.

By acting out scenes such as the opening dialogue of the first chapter, we are able to also discuss the irony and satire of Austen's writing, as well as our views of the characters.

I've been surprised by my brother's understanding, but equally shocked at the ignorance of my classmates. One girl failed to correctly pronounce "Prejudice" as she read the cover. My English teacher, when I suggested Pride and Prejudice for the eighth grade reading list, maintained that Austen's books were classics, to be read in class and discussed with teachers and classmates; and besides, Pride and Prejudice was a high school book. Never mind that I had read Pride and Prejudice in the sixth grade with no effort of support from any of my teachers.

[SIZE="4"]I'll end my first post with a question: did anyone else find themselves spelling as Jane Austen does (staid, chuses, etc.), or even talking differently?

I had problems in English class when I spelled humourous on a spelling test. My teacher assumed I was snooty and unpatriotic.