PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

helen
03-05-2003, 02:00 AM
When I was very young around 13 (I am now 64) I first read Pride and Prejudice and I was immediately transported back in time. Some of the language, when I was that young, was a little difficult for me to follow, however over my many years I have re read P&P so very many times and each time I find something else to enjoy in this wonderful book. My poor family, 1 husband, 2 girls and 4 boys, are all well versed in this book and also in the several movies and TV series. We ALL loved the film version of Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier the best until the Jennifer Ehle, Colin Firth version and now the latter is the most popular. Just as an aside whenever a new bofriend or girlfriend was brought home the tradition has been to play the movie or the 1995 TV series and wait for a reaction. Those with positive reactions were considered O.K. and this was done by my children because they think that if someone does not like P&P then they must not be quite right for them. This yardstick has worked very well. Even my husband quotes from P&P in different situations, his best is "I am seriously displeased."

helen
03-05-2003, 02:00 AM
The writer of this comment has probably moved on to other works by now, but within the comment she or he has honestly written something that many of us might miss, in that just because a novel is not to ones liking does not mean they are lesser, just different. However if they do not love P&P one will just have to think charitable thoughts about them.

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I have just finished the novel myself and I must say Pride and Prejudice is the best book I have ever read. There is something to be said about people who find this book boring, however, for those who are not romantics or true lovers of literature may not find this type of story intriguing. This does not mean they are stupid or shallow in any respect, but that they simply have a different oppinion about the book. Like all literature, Pride and Prejudice was not written to please everyone; however, I believe this novel is a classic and will be discussed for years to come.