PDA

View Full Version : Shakespeares birthday

mike thomas
01-27-2012, 07:09 AM
It is well known that Shakespeare's birthday is celebrated on 23rd April, St George's day, and that according to his baptism document he was baptised on the 26th day of April, 1564.

I have checked the actual complete document out but cannot see April mentioned anywhere, in fact there is no month whatever written on the document.

Does anyone know where the date of the baptism originated?

Charles Darnay
01-27-2012, 10:34 AM
There is evidence in the Stratford Parish registry that his baptism happened on April 26

mike thomas
01-28-2012, 11:05 AM
There is evidence in the Stratford Parish registry that his baptism happened on April 26

Yes thanks very much. I had been reading from a site which displays the register info as it was copied out some years ago, the consequence being that the word April. and the other names in the list, were not transferred over. The original register document does indeed say April 26.

Thank you for that kind input

Charles Darnay
01-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Incidentally, if you are interested in the question of Shakespeare as a person, and the world he lived in - and if you haven't come across it, I recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Eminent-Lives-ebook/dp/B000W965VW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327767011&sr=8-3

While he doesn't claim to provide the "whole truth" - because anyone who does is full of s--- - he writes a good account of Shakespeare's world, with a nice dose of wit.