PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
09-27-2002, 01:00 AM
For someone who seems to rate themselves in the "intelligent" group, maybe you should try brushing up on your grammar and spelling. It is difficult to take someone's intellectual rantings seriously when they do not know how to use an apostrophe, or they can't take the time to capitalize "I". As it is I am too distracted trying to understand your obvious dependence on spell check programs to think about the merit of what you're trying to say.

Sathya
12-19-2002, 02:00 AM
december 09,2002<br><br> YO..whoever you are...<br><br>Just listen to what Adrian had to say. I dont think there is anything wrong with what he is saying. It is his opinion and you have to learn to respect that, instead of looking at how many I's he forgot to capitalize...<br><br>Don't judge a book by its cover and don't under-estimate a person' s opinion by his spelling mistakes and his uncapitalized "I"s.<br><br>NO hard feelings,<br><br>-SATHYA-

Ruth
03-01-2003, 02:00 AM
It's a pity, though understandable, that Anonymous was too distracted by Adrian's spectacularly bad grammar and spelling to point out the REAL flaw in his comment. And it's an even greater pity, though not understandable at all, that Sathya doesn't think there's "anything wrong with what [Adrian] is saying." Hasn't anyone noticed Adrian's total failure to justify his incredibly arrogant opinion that the P&P-is-boring people are intellectually inferior?<br><br>"You tend to fill up your minds with fantasy instead of knowledge," he writes ludicrously, as though this were an indisputable mark of inferiority, to the "less intellectual minded ones." Since the work of fiction he's attempting to defend must be at least as much "fantasy" as "knowledge," where does he get off telling the book's critics that their minds are full of fantasy, much less that they're intellectually inferior because of it? WHAT PLANET IS ADRIAN ON?? Evidently a planet that gives you points for absurdity.<br><br>For the record, I think P&P is one of the most entertaining books I've ever read.

helen
03-05-2003, 02:00 AM
<br>Okey Dokey especially Ruth and the person who replied on 27.902. I too saw the spelling and grammatical errors but hang on. Did you not understand that Adrian may not be someone who had previously read a heck of a lot and maybe your negativity has seen the end to his literary endeavours. I am a bit long in the tooth and sorry if I am lecturing, but you two have obviously had the better part of education and maybe, stood behind the door when thoughts on encouragement and empathy were handed out. You are smart so how about adding niceness to your list of attributes. Maybe you will never read this, but it needed saying.

Unregistered
04-15-2003, 01:00 AM
I understand why people are critical of books, but I don't get why it matters so much what others feel about the book. If you read a book and don't like it, then it just isn't for you. I mean, entertainment is subjective. It's not fair to say that one is more sophisticated or intellegent than another because he or she finds something like Pride and Prejudice to be boring. All it means is that it's just not interesting to him or her, an opinion to which he or she is entitled.

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Hear Hear for the peace-maker who added the comment on april the 15th, 2003, because they are exactly right. We all have our own opinions...if you don't like the book it does not mean you are intellectually inferior, it just means that your taste in novels does not favor romantic classics. Adrian, obviously you are not intellectually superior because you can't spell. Just because you read a book and happened to enjoy it does not mean you are superior to anyone or anything - oh and also, sayed is not a word....it happens to be 'said'. thankyou and goodnight

MissHighSchool
03-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Why does everybody cares about what other people think about books? I'm a Belgian girl, and I read English lit. for fun, not because I have to, or because I want to become 'intellectual'... If you like to read a book, read it, if you don't like it, just don't. It's not because you think a book is boring, it makes you inferior to people who do like it. Personally I didn't enjoy the book very much, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid. Only the fact that I'm able to read it, though English is my third language after Dutch and French and I'm only 16 years old, proves I'm not. Just wanted to say that to Adrian, who obviously thinks he's better than anyone of us.

adrian
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
people that say this book is boring are obviously not very open minded and not to discriminate against anyone but odds are that the ones that sayed they enjoyed the book and defended its purpose are most likely to be the intellegent ones leaving the "this was so boring" group of people as the less intellectual minded ones, because you tend to fill your minds up with fantasy instead of knowledge. But any arguements against my comment id love to hear because i may learn something from others point of views too...dont hesitate!!!!