PDA

View Full Version : i retract my statment

heidi
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
To all you so called "this was a boring book" critics read it again and think about what you said....i infact read the book another two times to see where i went wrong and i was. The book can only be rated as boring if you read it in isolation to all the other aspects of the novel, i.e: did you consider the context in which it is written....Take a look at Austens use of satire at its most sparkling when Lydia Bennet marries Wickham, Austen may have wrote about this leaving us to interpret it as a "whole load of fiction" but what she really did was demonstrate to us society as it was, look closely and you will see that the theme and storyline of the novel is far more different to the actual point Austen is trying to generate..... so for you mindless readers that obviously read the text without understanding it take a look back in history and you will learn that Austen didnt agree with what her characters actually did (it explains why Austen never married herself). Austen gave us a glimpse at the past and the gift to compare it to the present so i suggest you re-read it and youll see.

pato389
12-17-2009, 09:57 AM
To all you so called "this was a boring book" critics read it again and think about what you said....i infact read the book another two times to see where i went wrong and i was. The book can only be rated as boring if you read it in isolation to all the other aspects of the novel, i.e: did you consider the context in which it is written....Take a look at Austens use of satire at its most sparkling when Lydia Bennet marries Wickham, Austen may have wrote about this leaving us to interpret it as a "whole load of fiction" but what she really did was demonstrate to us society as it was, look closely and you will see that the theme and storyline of the novel is far more different to the actual point Austen is trying to generate..... so for you mindless readers that obviously read the text without understanding it take a look back in history and you will learn that Austen didnt agree with what her characters actually did (it explains why Austen never married herself). Austen gave us a glimpse at the past and the gift to compare it to the present so i suggest you re-read it and youll see.

I totally agree with you. There are many people who say they don't like this book but haven't considered the setting in time, actually. I totally accept that there may be people who still don't like it (not all of us have to like the same kind of books), but i would say that the great majority either are men, who can't appreciate woman's issues (most them, at least), or they haven't taken into account the context.
You can't deny that she's a great writer! I especially enjoy Mr. Bennet's sarcasm.
I love Pride and Prejudice