PDA

View Full Version : Where is this quote: "In Egypt, the men are more skilled in medicine..."

madriscoll
01-12-2012, 12:21 PM
This is an often quoted line in Homer's the Odyssey and you can find this phrase in many literary papers. However, where does it reside in the actual books? In all the areas I have searched the line is quoted, but the source or location is never mentioned. Want to help? The searchable Odyssey on this site is not working.
Thanks!

Charles Darnay
01-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I think you might find what you are looking for in Book IV. I don't have my books with me at the moment, so I can't tell you exactly where, but during Menelaus' story he talks about his voyage to Egypt.

The trouble for looking for an exact quote from Homer is that they don't exist in English because every translation is different.

madriscoll
01-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Yes, I see in Book IV, "This drug, of such sovereign power and virtue, had been given to Helen by Polydamna wife of Thon, a woman of Egypt, where there grow all sorts of herbs, some good to put into the mixing-bowl and others poisonous. Moreover, every one in the whole country is a skilled physician, for they are of the race of Paeeon."
Seems a far reach to "In Egypt, the men are more skilled in Medicine than any of human kind.”

madriscoll
01-12-2012, 05:04 PM
I think it might be in the Illiad Book XI, "A Physician is worth more than several other men put together, for he can cut out arrows and spread healing herbs." What do you think?