PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

payal srivastava
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
this book is quite influential though the chapters contain unnecessary details which at times need not b discussed in such lenght. yet the book is one of its type n is interesting to b read out.

souveek
07-22-2016, 02:25 AM
this book is quite influential though the chapters contain unnecessary details which at times need not b discussed in such lenght. yet the book is one of its type n is interesting to b read out.

Literature is obviously something that depends a lot one one's perception. In my perception, the flowery language and the details were in fact necessary and add to the beauty of the text. How else would we have known about the sanitary condition and the lack ff proper drainage in of the poor neighborhood in Paris had the author not discussed about the broken wine barrel on the streets? Not only that, the scene lets us know about the lack of work of people in that neighborhood.

Similarly without the mention of Cocklane Ghost incident, most of us would have never realized that this was an incident that was central point of discussion in English households during the time, and that people were not averse to such incidents?

I have yet to complete the book. In fact I have just started to read Book 2. I do hope that there are more such references :)