PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about alienation

imnotanerd
12-18-2011, 03:02 AM
I am doing a term paper on this novella, and I have ran into two questions. First let me say what I have found.

With the sister, I can tell she is alienation Gregor through the way she feeds Gregor (bowls, throws out everything even if untouched), talks with him less and less, and eventually rejects him completely at the end.

With the father, he physically alienated him through the way he backs him off (cane and newspaper), throwing apples at him (and one becomes a sore), and always wearing his uniform with the noticeable golden buttons.

But I'm stuck on the mother. All I can tell is that she wants to do little with Gregor wherever possible. How does the mother alienate Gregor?

Also, I'm discussing the maids' role in this by showing the levels of alienation: separation, rejection, and confrontation. I'm stuck on rejection. Was there a time in the novella where no maids wanted to be hired due to Gregor's presence?

hypatia_
05-24-2013, 03:52 PM
i literally finished metamorphosis about an hour ago.

her alienation comes from not having the courage to go into the room of her own accord, and fainting when seeing him (this may be more unconcious alienation, but it is alienation nonetheless).

what do the golden buttons have to do with alienation? just curious.

as for the maid, the one maid requested leave when she discovered the cockroach, didn't she?