PDA

View Full Version : Indifferent to Tolstoy: What's Wrong With Me?

Climacus
12-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Now, I've read a smattering of Tolstoy - several of the short stories and War and Peace - and from the first I found myself indifferent. It's not that I find him boring. I read, engaged, but am not really affected. It's obviously good writing. No doubts there. At times Tolstoy is philosophically profound too. Still, I just finish with a shrug. So, what's wrong with me?

(I generally like Russian literature by the way. Dostoevsky is one of my favourite novelists, Gogol makes me laugh, Chekhov plays appeal to me . . . )

MarkBastable
12-11-2011, 06:25 AM
It's possible you suffer from an allergy to pompous po-facedness.

osho
12-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Now, I've read a smattering of Tolstoy - several of the short stories and War and Peace - and from the first I found myself indifferent. It's not that I find him boring. I read, engaged, but am not really affected. It's obviously good writing. No doubts there. At times Tolstoy is philosophically profound too. Still, I just finish with a shrug. So, what's wrong with me?

(I generally like Russian literature by the way. Dostoevsky is one of my favourite novelists, Gogol makes me laugh, Chekhov plays appeal to me . . . )

To be indifferent to Tolstoy is impossible for me at least and he was a legendary figure and can be compared with some of the best in the world and there are not single stories that did not touch me and his novels too are really greatly moving. I have read Anna Karenna and his other novels, though I have never completed his War & Peace I always become fascinated by his masterful works and he was a literary giant no serious readers of literature can ignore

Calidore
12-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Nothing. You recognize the quality, but the style or genre isn't what moves you. Never think something's wrong with you just because one person's (or many people's) brand of art doesn't work for you.

Charles Darnay
12-11-2011, 01:02 PM

I'd have to agree with you. I recognize Tolstoy as a great writer and enjoyed War and Peace - but I'm not clambering to read Anna Karenina now. When it comes to Russian lit, I prefer Dostoevsky.

Buh4Bee
12-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Nothing. You recognize the quality, but the style or genre isn't what moves you. Never think something's wrong with you just because one person's (or many people's) brand of art doesn't work for you.

I agree. It just may not be your style.

Emil Miller
12-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Why worry? I have an indifference to a whole host of literary totems that are discussed ad infinitum on this forum, including inter alia Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Joyce, and Beckett without losing a moment's sleep over it.
As long as you steer clear of Harry Potter, Twilight and any of their variants you will still have plenty of good writing to choose from.

Climacus
12-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. But something must be wrong with me, not morally (I hope) but in the sense that my appreciative faculties are somehow deficient. And I'm more curious than worried about this. :)

Charles Darnay
12-11-2011, 05:58 PM
If you could scientifically develop a formula to measure "appreciation factors" - well that would be strange. Until then, you are putting too much thought into this. It might be worthwhile - if you are set on this train of thought - to question why those who hold Tolstoy above all others do so. What specifically excites people about him? Then you will see why these criteria for an excellent and engaging read do not match your own.

kelby_lake
02-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Pssibly you may be put off by other people's enthusiasm and the amount of critical acclaim Tolstoy has. If a novel is described as being "the greatest novel of all time", that's kind of a distraction to enjoying it, because you feel as if you have to make a judgement.

smerdyakov
02-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Hi Climacus. There's nothing wrong with you; I feel the same way about Tolstoy.
Quite simply, he lacks the heart of a Dostoevky or a Gogol. He is not as edgy or deep as those two either. This is probably the source of your problem I'd imagine. You can be a good writer but lack heart (like Kureishi or McEwan).
:)

kelby_lake
02-07-2012, 07:11 AM
I disagree that Tolstoy lacks heart. The portrayals of the characters in Anna Karenina require somebody who was in tune with human emotion and desire.

Arrowni
02-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Probably too much internet use, it has been proved that loving Tolstoi tends to happen in people who don't particularly engage in internet activities.

In the other hand, you can aknowledge the fame and merit of a writer without feeling personally appealed by their writings. I feel like that about Shakespeare ;)

Mutatis-Mutandis
02-07-2012, 09:12 AM
I've never enjoyed Shakespeare, and it's never bothered me much. I wouldn't worry about not liking Tolstoy.

kelby_lake
02-07-2012, 02:37 PM

It's fine to appreciate a writer's skill whilst not really liking their work. It's a better response than simply arguing that everything you don't like is bad, as some people do.

mtpspur
03-04-2012, 09:43 PM
I have two friends on Facebook that are Russian and two friends HERE on Litnet that highly recommend Tolstoy. Having suvived 60 years without him and being only a bit aware of him--I thought it would please my one Russian friend (who frankly told me War and Peace's middle section bored her) to experience one of her nation's greatest legacies. Two things have come of this. I LIKE War and Peace but I probably will never fall in LOVE with it. Currently I'm in Book Two completing Chapter 15 just a few minutes ago and I'm only just now starting to care about what happens to a character--once I figure out who is who and all that. I keep mixing Andrew and Nicholas up though Pierre remains very much an individual. I'm not all that convinced Tolstoy writes all that well. A turn of a phrase here and there and a sly observation but all his characters seem to dislike others for no real reason it seems other then to be petty. On the other hand I do find his humor delightful--the bear and the policeman--the army getting dressed up spiffy when they were meant to be ragged for an inspection--VERY true to life that scene being retired military gives me some insights into the madness of military planning. Just saying. Like others have said--no reflection if he is NOT your cup of tea. I have said it before--Hemingway is a GREAT writer--and I can't stand ANYTHING he writes. He is STILL a GREAT writer.

kelby_lake
04-07-2012, 10:50 AM
mtpspur, have you read Anna Karenina?

KCurtis
04-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Why worry? I have an indifference to a whole host of literary totems that are discussed ad infinitum on this forum, including inter alia Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Joyce, and Beckett without losing a moment's sleep over it.
As long as you steer clear of Harry Potter, Twilight and any of their variants you will still have plenty of good writing to choose from.

I loved Harry Potter! It was a fantastic adventure for our family- I read it for entirely different reasons than for classic literature.

mtpspur
04-09-2012, 12:32 AM
To Kelby Lake--No I haven't but have been assure dit is a better read. As I posted somewhere or over Rafael Sabatini spoiled me on what to expect from a historical novel. Tolstoy writes great character analysis (in a kind of shorthand so to say) and his conversations are engrossing. I just believe the book could have more tightly plotted and more flesh to the characters. Just saying. Over and again I would read a chapter and come away with well--so???? I think my main weakness in reading the book is that characters spend far too much tie worrying about what everyone else thinks of them.

kelby_lake
09-09-2012, 02:56 PM
To Kelby Lake--No I haven't but have been assure dit is a better read. As I posted somewhere or over Rafael Sabatini spoiled me on what to expect from a historical novel. Tolstoy writes great character analysis (in a kind of shorthand so to say) and his conversations are engrossing. I just believe the book could have more tightly plotted and more flesh to the characters. Just saying. Over and again I would read a chapter and come away with well--so???? I think my main weakness in reading the book is that characters spend far too much tie worrying about what everyone else thinks of them.

Anna Karenina is very dramatic with a good juicy story.