PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet Letter

Admin
01-17-2002, 06:16 PM
I read parts of it... didn't finish it because I found it incredibly boring. Hawthorne's style was just horrible.

cheerflag107
Has anyone read the Scarlet Letter? I am reading it for AP and am having difficulty with it. Please tell me if anyone has read it..I have many questions. Thankyou

MortalFool
I've read it.... AP English. :)

MortalFool
Hawthorne wasn't as bad as Melvile! We were supposed to read two short stories by him, and I only read one. I am a reader, I had never not read what I was supposed to before!

angebunnie
I loved the Scarlet Letter. The only thing that I found a little overwhelming was the description. Hawthorne tends to be a bit descriptive. However the book itself is amazing!

indiandiva21
Hi! I read the Scarlet Letter and thought it was a great book. Would love to discuss it.

SirStefan32
I read it, and thought it was a good book. If I can be of any asistance, just let me know.

Stefan

Romeo
I've read it, loved it. Should i be of any assistance, don't hesitate to ask; i'm willing to help you.:)

Vronaqueen
10-24-2003, 03:58 PM
I enjoyed The Scarlet Letter, but I think it was because I read it for pleasure. I just fell in love with Hester Prynn. Her characteris so greatly developed by Hawthorne that you can see her anger and acceptance and dignity when she's on the scaffold.

The character of Pearl is also amazing! Sure, she's a little abnormal but she is so wonderfully out there that she gets everyone else in the story to suck it up and face the truth. It's wonderful

AbdoRinbo
10-24-2003, 04:18 PM
I think they've all moved on with their lives (except for Admin, of course).

Sindhu
10-25-2003, 12:11 AM
Iliked Scarlet Letter, but thenI liked Moby Dick too! ;)

crazycaleb
11-06-2003, 04:00 AM
I'll resurrect this once again out of boredom :P

I read it for class.. just Advanced English, junior year (none of that ap stuff for me ;)), and I was always about two chapters behind everyone else during it :D Not because I read particularly slow, but because I just had too many other books that I was reading at the time. I would be in study hour, looking back and forth from Robert Jordan's "A Path of Daggers" to "The Scarlet Letter", and I would think to myself "I'll read a chapter of Path of Daggers, and then Scarlet Letter". Of course, one chapter would turn into a few, and then I'd go to sleep (because I'm an incurable night owl, and rarely got any sleep at night back then). Of course, after waking up I'd have to go to English and BS my way through a quiz 8) heh.

Why all of this rambling? Well, aside from my current boredom, it helps to illustrate my feelings of the book. I did get through it, and I rather liked it. I kind of liked the imagery/symbolism, even if Hawthorne did kind of beat you over the head with it (just how many symbols of "beauty amidst suffering" did we really need?), and I grew to enjoy the characters. However, the book was also kind of boring, and just plodded along too slowly for my tastes. I think the plot probably could have fit into a long short story (or a short novela?), rather than a short novel.