PDA

View Full Version : Co-dependent from jealousy.

Truthlover
11-23-2011, 10:24 PM
I am one-third the way through this novel. It is very well written. This is the story of Louis Trevelyan, who is co-dependent on his wife Emily because of his strong tendency toward jealousy. I'm so excited to know how it will turn out.

Truthlover
12-20-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm over two-thirds finished. The subplots are also very good. I'm amazed by the dialogues between the characters. For example, Mr. Gibson, the priest who wants to get married, with one of the French sisters. He finds out how egoistic he is, first by choosing the younger sister over the elder sister (whom he had been leading along for such a long time). Secondly by postponing the wedding. I am surprised that he learns to hate himself. He seems so selfish that I would classify him as a narcissist. He is emotionally immature and uses his priesthood with a sense of entitlement. Trollope really knows human nature. His books seems to be written like lengthy parables. The characters never get too deep. But you discover their personality by the way they act and think. They never think too deeply, but that is not necessary.

Truthlover
01-15-2012, 06:05 PM
I've finally finished. This is the kind of book I read to get to sleep at night. The story goes on and on. This book is recommendable to spouses who suffer from a spouse who is jealous. So long as you are not really cheating on your spouse. It helps you to relativize the problem. Your spouse is jealous. So what? Many others suffer from the same thing. This kind of problem teaches us to transcend ourselves: forget about what others —even when that other person is your spouse— think about you. I know it's hard. When it starts, you believe you are guilty. Of what? Who knows. This kind of guilt was suffered by the main character of The Last Chronicle of Barset. He was definitely not guilty, but he started to wonder if he was or not guilty. This is a mind trick that happens to most people (except to sociopaths) when they are falsely accused or even slightly suspected. Enjoyed the book tremendously.