PDA

View Full Version : Jealousy in marriage

Truthlover
11-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Dear Friends of Trollope,

I have not read this book yet. But, from the title it sounds like something similar to He Knew He Was Right, which I am reading right now and like it very much.

Truthlover
08-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Well, I finished reading this book some time ago. Alice (a name which means "truth" in Greek) changed her mind three times about whom she really loves. This is a marvelous story for analyzing marriage choices. Men as well as women are in the same boat when it comes to making decisions about what person is to be their conjugal partner for life. The book is extremely long, but can be read leisurely. The man Alice finally chooses for her spouse is too good to be true, in the sense that he, like Plantagenet Palliser, lives at the opposite extreme of jealousy. These are good role models for jealous husbands. Even if they are rarely found in real life, they give us the best solution of how to cure a partner who is suspected of infidelity. In Spanish they say: Dale cuerda. Which loosely translated means, "give her/him space." This manifests excessive confidence in your partner. But, isn't excessive confidence the best proof of love? The attitude of Plantagenet transformed Lady Glencora's love for him. This is at the opposite pole of He Knew He Was Right, where jealousy destroyed a marriage that looked so promising at the beginning.