PDA

View Full Version : Use to be good

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
When was it banned????? Verne wrote this book in the 1800s, and I, for example, an average 7th grader am not used to pulling stereotypes out of books written over a century ago!

Rickeshia
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
I don't understand any of that mormon stuff, I'm only on chapter 15.

Kaila
03-17-2005, 11:43 AM
I am a grade Nine, IB student. I'm reading this book for an inquiry paper, and I don't see why you've got your undies in a bunch over how he uses religion. Only a real twit would take a fictional text as fact and be bias towards someone they don't know. If they are stupid enough to discriminate because of what Mr. Verne says, then there is no hope for them to begin with. Don't whine about religion being poked at, I bet you do it in everyday life and don't even notice doing it. Plus, its not like your going to walk up to someone and go, "Hi, I'm a Mormon.". No, I am not saying you can not be proud of your beliefs, its just that you don't need to complain about something that you yourself can prove to be wrong by keeping your mouth shut and being yourself. Oh, and no, I don't care if I sound like a hypocrite. Life is in the eye of the beholder, don't be the one to choose to be blind.

Unregistered
04-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Books are written within the social context of the author's world. To place today's moral or political views on a book written in the past is artificial. The best thing to do is to let the book teach you something about the time in which it was written. For example, the book "Gone with the Wind" was written in a time when racial relations were very different from today- and that was written much more recently than "Eighty Days."

Jana
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I would say this is a great book however in chapter 27 the way the Mormons are seen is false and wrong. If you did not know a Mormon and then read this book you would believe that ALL mormons are like this, and you would believe them to be bad. Well that is NOT how it is. And polygamy nowadays is against the religions beliefs. It was banned some time ago! So I do not like how Jules Verne puts down a religion to make the book somewhat humours or interesting.