PDA

View Full Version : Dostoevsky

TexaninNihon
03-11-2003, 11:45 PM
I'm about to start reading Dostoevsky. I'm starting with 'Crime and Punishment' and then 'The Brothers K'. Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for or think about while reading him?

Thanks.

apstudent
03-12-2003, 12:00 AM
I have read Crime and Punishment and sort of liked it. Just know that there is so much in it, it will take multiple readings just to get most of it. I thought his views on religion and God were interesting. Also, see how he tries to explore the theory of an extrodinary man. I read it two months ago, and am still trying to comprehend what I read. Have fun though.

Koa
03-12-2003, 06:54 PM
I read it in summer 2001 and it's one of the greates things i've ever read...It might be beaten in greatness by 'The Demons', always by Dostoevsky...i advise you to read that someday.

Zeno
03-13-2003, 03:18 AM
The Brothers Karamazov is Dostoevski's greatest novel but i would recomend his short stories since they are often more hummors and enjoyable.

Eric, son of Chuck
03-13-2003, 03:20 PM
I really need to get onto some Dostoyevsky. All I've read of his is "the Gambler," "Bobok," and "A Nasty Story." Mostly entertaining, but I get the feeling there's a reason he's better known for his other works.

Zeno
03-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Notes from the underground is his most famous short story start with that. It is a prologue to his later novels. . .

"I am a sick man. ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased. However, I know nothing at all about my disease, and do not know for certain what ails me. I don't consult a doctor for it, and never have, though I have a respect for medicine and doctors. Besides, I am extremely superstitious, sufficiently so to respect medicine, anyway (I am well-educated enough not to be superstitious, but I am superstitious). No, I refuse to consult a doctor from spite. That you probably will not understand. Well, I understand it, though. Of course, I can't explain who it is precisely that I am mortifying in this case by my spite: I am perfectly well aware that I cannot "pay out" the doctors by not consulting them; I know better than anyone that by all this I am only injuring myself and no one else. But still, if I don't consult a doctor it is from spite. My liver is bad, well - let it get worse! "

TexaninNihon
03-18-2003, 10:17 PM
OK, thanks for the help everyone.

den
03-22-2003, 08:42 PM
What to look for and think about?? ;)

Well this novel was written as a sort of `confession' with semi-autobiographical themes in it.

You will probably not have a hard time noticing that Raskolnikov suffers from intense disassociation and apathy at times, and Napoleon complex. Dostoyevsky formulated this book whilst he was contemplating his own life and as he served 4 years in a Siberian prison.

So the themes of Orthodoxy and corruption, nihlism, depravity and the criminal mind, justice and the law and being given a second chance are prevalent. It's a great book IMO.

Zeno
03-24-2003, 07:38 PM
What he was talking about was furtherdeveloped in the Brothers Karamazov Raskonlinkov said can the extra-orrdinary man act beyound the law? But Ivans statement in the Brothers Karamazov "if there is no God then everything is permited" brings out a deeper question

jesse sutton
04-07-2003, 10:48 PM
well i started my dostoevsky angle with Notes From Underground, which i thought was magnificent. i would suggest that. )

jesse sutton

imthefoolonthehill
04-10-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm about to start reading Dostoevsky. I'm starting with 'Crime and Punishment' and then 'The Brothers K'. Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for or think about while reading him?

Thanks.

I read Doestovsky this summer... As for what to think about... think about the hot-chick next door or maybe that new car you've been wanting....

I think Doestovsky is a complete waste of time... He tries to be deeper than his intellect allows him to do. Honestly, try a different author... If you like Russian authors try Tolstoy. If you are just looking for a good read try Tom Clancy, Frank Herbert, George Orwell, Mark Bowden, Steven King, Stephen Ambrose, H.G. Wells, or perhaps Jules Verne... I realize a lot of people like Doestovsky... but that doesn't change my opinion that he tries to be smarter than he is. I know, undoubtedly someone will simply insult me by saying that I just didn't get all the symbolism or deeper meanings... please know this isn't so.

Koa
04-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Well... that's an opinion, and i'm going to respect it...(i'm actually not going to insult you because i see your post is rather respectful too...your dislike is strong, but you realise some people think the opposite of what you think...) But i still think he's one of the greatest geniuses that ever lived...I find his books deep...and involving...