PDA

View Full Version : Does Kurtz represent the Wall Streeter, the modern banker and the greedy capitalist?

osho
11-02-2011, 05:35 AM
I understand the spirit of this forum and this is an exclusive literature forum. Literature is a big domain that can contain wide ranges, disciplines, themes. We know great literatures had massive impacts on society. We Know Ayn Rand and her capitalism and I know how the Ex- Chairman of the Federal Reserve Allen Greenspan was influenced by her ideas and he used her works to reinforce capitalism in the US. Even I find the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith full of literature.

I have recently read, a second time, first I read a decade ago, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I am an avid reader of economic and financial journals, and I saw some of our business tycoons bearing resemblance to Kurtz of Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad when they are swayed by the passion for wealth and power.

I hope this is not off literary topics and want to hear an analogical comments by the panels here. This discussion will center around Kurtz, the greedy and passion driven fortune pursuer resembling somewhat some of our modern power and pelf mongers.

Anne Catherick
03-25-2014, 05:04 AM
I think you are certainly on the right track- but I don't think it is such a big leap. I recently watched Apocalypse Now again. It then re-read Heart of Darkness. I think Brando's Kurtz is as good a realisation of Conrad's Kurtz as we may ever get. Banker, or army general.

osho
04-08-2014, 08:34 AM
The ghost of capitalism is following us like a shadow and the world is not going to be a livable place for the majority in a while if the ghost keeps on sprawling majestically. Ayn Rand, a veteran writer did it all in America, and indeed the power of literature is insuperable and we have the case of Rousseau in point and how he could implant the tree of revolution.
Today literature has a role and indeed it must come out of the confines of telling lulling tales to writing ideas that can raise all those issues that can benefit humanity. Literature needs to be reform- centric and so that society can gain from it.