PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
"Learn't"? Come on man. Let's at least pretend that we LEARNED something in school.

Baillie Keithley
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
You said that Estella was the one that needed all the help...but I completely disagree with that. Pip is th one that needs the help. Estella has tried to warn Pip that she isn't interested in him, and that he shouldn't get into her. She completley is open and is only looking out for Pip's feelings. Pip is spending his money foolishly and is forgetting where he has come from and is turning into something that he isn't. I'm reading this book right now, and I'm not all the way donewith is, but I'd like for you to e-mail me back and maybe we can get into this a little more.

Unregistered
03-17-2005, 06:11 PM
I agree that the book teaches us many valuable lessons. Many people will read it without thinking about the meaning of the words on the page, thinking that all they want to do is just get through the book. However it is more important to understand the characters and the significance of their actions.

Nic
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
This is the second work I have read of Dickens. As a novel I found it hard to get into but once I did there wer some very valuable lessons to be learn't from it. The ideas running concurrently throughout this book is that Pip gradually develops in understanding of other people as well as an understanding of who he is as a person. We see him develop from a material loving person at the beginning leaving Joe and Biddy with his Expectations, to becoming a person who understands that class really doesn't matter and it is what is inside that counts. We see this finalising with him Pip realising that rather than somebody who is all encompassing, Estella is really the one who needs all the help and she is not as great as he at first thinks she is. This change in understanding I believe is something that we all go through and GE teaches us this valuable lesson that we need to be personal people rather than material people.