PDA

View Full Version : GREAT

Bin
10-11-2002, 01:00 AM
I was searching the internet for information on the novel Great Expectations when I found this website. I like the fact that you can read comments from people who have read the book. I am going to start reading this book soon for a school report, but I didn't have a clue what it was about! Thanks to your comments I have an idea what to expect from the novel. Thanks!

Unregistered
02-28-2003, 02:00 AM
i dont like this book

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
I also think this is a great work, as much for the use of language as the insights into humanity. So many interesting little tidbits, you get to learn about merry old england time, was Mrs. Joes funeral a trip or what?<br><br> You talk of Dickens as the master of the engish language, I would recommend going through the works of edgar allan poe to enjoy a distinctly american use of english (there's a bit I didn't understand but you get most of what he's trying to say). His fantasy accounts of the future from an 1840's point of view is very amusing.<br><br> I'm eager to check out some Dostevsky and Tolstoy after I finish with Dickens.

Pavel
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
For the longest time this was my favorite book (then I discoevered the works of Dostoevsky and Tolstoy which are the best ever written). Charles Dickens was the master of the english language. Great Expectations (by far his greatest novel) combines suspense, romance, humor, honor and friendship. Joe is one of my favorite characters from any book--he is awesome. So many unexpected events and realtions occur and are discovered; it just keeps you on the edge of your seat. You think you know what's going to happen and then you're completely blown away. I loved it.