PDA

View Full Version : shakespeare & superheroes

aoveran
08-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Hi there, I'm a Shakespeare nerd, an English major, and also a total comics geek. So my project for this summer has been to set up a webcomic --- and if you have the time, I'd love if you dropped by to check it out!

I won't reveal too much, but let's just say my plan is to retell some of Shakespeare in a modern-day superhero setting. With a bit of humor and a bit of social commentary.

Also, if you take a glance around the first few pages, I'm sure you can guess what my favorite play of all time is. :biggrin5:

The site is here, if you're interested: http://exemplarscomic.com/comic/artnight/01/

Now, I admit, I'm not a Shakespeare scholar by any means, even though I do love Elizabethan theater and history and all that stuff. All the same, I want to try and capture the themes and nuances that tend to go unnoticed in a lot of the mainstream Shakespeare adaptations (by that, I mean, Twelfth Night is more than just mistaken identity, Hamlet is more than just revenge, though you wouldn't be able to tell from the movies Hollywood puts out from time to time). So if any of you have any advice or even bits of knowledge from your experience/research/whatever, I'd love to learn from you!

Well, thanks so much for your time, everyone! I appreciate you sticking with me this far, I really do! Enjoy the rest your day!

shakeyourspeare
08-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Wow it looks great, keep it up man. I love the black and white,
what play is that again?

aoveran
08-26-2011, 03:36 AM
Hey, thanks so much for the kind words!

Oh, and it's Romeo and Juliet, haha.

Away from light steals home my heavy son,
And private in his chamber pens himself,
Shuts up his windows, locks fair daylight out,
And makes himself an artificial night.

Anyway, thanks for the comment --- I appreciate it, and I'm glad you like the comic so far!

xman
08-27-2011, 03:20 AM
Looks good.

aoveran
08-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks so much for checking it out! :biggrin5: