PDA

View Full Version : Tom Sawyer

Unregistered
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
I was just wondering if you actually read the above snippet about the author. It clearly states that MOST of the adventures, whith the exception of one or two, actually happened. That's just how life was back then. There wasn't a whole lot to do and boys went out to search for adventures. If you noticed, Tom refered to books he had written numerous times. Books made everything seem adventurous (i.e. Robin Hood) and as a result, boys emmulated them. And Joe Harper didn't die because that didn't actually happen in Samuel Clemmens life. He wanted it to be as close to his personal story as possible. And to all those who said "the "n" word is used too much..." That is just another thing of the time. It wasn't seen as being racist back then, especially in Mississippi.

crazybut honest
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
I don't think you should say it's not realistic. As you say no chil witnesses a murder well you need to think again. I have a friend who witnessed a murder. I know people who would get in trouble for a person they like. So i think you should get your facts straight before you go accusing a book or even a person of being fake. OK? Just fixing up your facts so if you can it would be most appreciated if your comment was changed and told the truth no just something you think is true. Try researching what you plan to write or type and stop telling lies to people. I think we have enough of that going on we don't need you doing the same thing!

Leah
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Tom Sawyer is a well written novel. However, is it really all that realistic? How many children in their early youth winess a murder, and are haunted by dreams of a mass-murderer? How many kids have love affairs which are also predictable and "macho", like when Tom takes the whipping for Becky from the headmaster in school? I enjoyed the novel-but it could have been more "audience-grabbing" and detailed. Make Joe Harper die of something for heaven's sake!! What Tom Sawyer did was realistically and logically... in a sense out of a child's ability.