PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood

Lokasenna
08-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Anyone else enjoying Miracle Day? I was away for the last few days, so I've only just watched last Thursday's episode.

I have to say, for something that began as a rather embarassing spin-off from Dr Who (the sex alien, anyone?), it's improved dramatically since they slashed the budget. 'Children of Earth' was an excellent piece of drama, and although this new series is slower paced, it is shaping up well. The conceits of both the latest series have been fascinating, and they're running with them well.

Are there any Americans on here who are getting to grips with Torchwood for the first time? I suspect a lot of it is quite confusing if you don't know the backstory...

And is it me, or is Bill Pullman giving a career best performance?

qimissung
08-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Bill Pullman is doing a great job; he's one of the few American things I like about this show.

I LOVE Torchwood! Children of the Earth was simply riveting and I really enjoyed the season before that, which was when I was introduced to Torchwood. It was set in Wales I believe, and it was like it was it's own little world.

It hasn't been quite as enjoyable to me to have it set in the United States. The story line is pretty good, I'll give them that, but you can see the mix of the two types of writing, and to me it's like two flavors that don't really taste all that good when mixed together like peppermint in spaghetti sauce.

Also Jack doesn't seem as major a figure in this, and He IS Torchwood, so I don't like that aspect of it either.

On the whole, though, I'm enjoying it very much, and I'm thrilled that it's back!

Vonny
08-09-2011, 02:08 AM
I've never heard of any of it except the United States, Wales, peppermint and spaghetti sauce.

Torchwood?Miracle Day?Children of the Earth?Bill Pullman?Jack?Sex Alien?

I Googled Dr Who before but I'm still not clear on it.

Wait... I'm a fan of peppermint!

Revolte
08-09-2011, 02:17 AM
I actually really love Miracle Day, it's the first season I've ever seen but I enjoy it a lot. (wow what a boring reply lol, must be time to crack open that four loko)

zoolane
09-17-2011, 03:55 PM
The ending of 'Miracle Day' was great due fact two people who come back alive after death and now live for forever.

Does anyone else thing more on this storyline and the woman with ginger hair?
If that just phrase 1 then what phrase two? I wonder.

Bluehound
09-17-2011, 04:05 PM
I have always been a massive torchwood fan, it is Doctor who with adult extras, what's not to like?
I was so pleased when I heard it was coming back and have enjoyed miracle day immensely.
Bill Pullman has been brilliant, absolutely repulsive yet somehow we care about what happens to him ...its a very hard trick to pull off.
I also love Jilly "Your hair is a work of art" Kitzinger and hope we will get to see more of her.

Fingers crossed the US like it so it will be carried on.

David Lurie
11-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Whic one is better, the UK or the US Series?

Helga
11-05-2011, 02:43 PM
I decided a few weeks ago to watch the whole thing from beginning to end and now I am in the middle I think of Miracle day, the first few episodes in season one were odd, like Lokasenna said, the 'sex alien' that was not good but in general the season was great and season 2 even better. the mini season 3 was really good and I loved Ianto. Now Miracle day is different from the others but I just love Bill Pulman!!! he is great in his role! miss certain parts of the UK but I like a few of the US....

that doesn't really answer the above question now does it. but I can say every single show was worth it.

LadyLuck
11-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Whic one is better, the UK or the US Series?

I preferred it before it moved, but I figure that I'll still watch another season or two to see if it gets a bit of the glory back. Personally, I wanted to love Torchwood as much as I do Doctor Who, but I just really like it. I would buy the first two seasons, but I don't like the more made for the tele movie series feel that Children of the Earth and Miracle Day had.

Lokasenna
11-06-2011, 04:57 AM
For me, the highlight was Series 3, Children of Earth. I thought that it was fantastic idea, executed in a wonderful manner and to great effect. The cast was peerless, the story powerful, and the underlying imagery meaningful.

As for Miracle Day... well... it had its ups and downs. I'm afraid I rather feel that it lost its way as it went on - plenty of good moments, but nothing on the whole that matched the previous season. It was a great idea that was not particularly well executed in the end.

Helga
11-06-2011, 08:29 AM
I agree that Children of the earth was the best one so far I think, the best thing about this show in my opinion is that they make difficult decisions, I like how you don't know when people die and they send kids to their death. It is rare to see that on tv. that is in part why I love Captain Jack, he does things that are right for the outcome but everybody hate!

I just recently started Miracle day but Bill Pullman is just really good in it.

LadyLuck
11-06-2011, 04:37 PM
For me, the highlight was Series 3, Children of Earth. I thought that it was fantastic idea, executed in a wonderful manner and to great effect. The cast was peerless, the story powerful, and the underlying imagery meaningful.

I certainly can't disagree with that. I just prefer the more contained stories for typical watching. Children of Earth is one that I need to pretty much watch in one day as a marathon, so I don't get to watch and enjoy that one as frequently. While I enjoy Torchwood, it isn't very friendly for little kids which I always have running around:)

Helga
11-06-2011, 04:59 PM
While I enjoy Torchwood, it isn't very friendly for little kids which I always have running around:)

very true, I got addicted to the show and watch when ever I have the time but with my boy around I have to pause and close my computer a lot.

Helga
11-09-2011, 05:27 PM
OK I just finished watching the last episode of the Miracle and I have to say I didn't like the end! I hope the will do better next series. Bill Pullman was great and I kinda liked him didn't feel like he was so bad, I mean he was bad but I still think there was something good there, very deep buried inside, somewhere. I did like seeing a few of the guest stars like John de Lancie and Nana Visitor

Next on my agenda is Doctor Who all seasons since it's reboot in 2005, I guess I'll have to take it slow though cause of school now.. Christmas break though! all Who

LadyLuck
11-09-2011, 05:39 PM
OK I just finished watching the last episode of the Miracle and I have to say I didn't like the end! I hope the will do better next series. Bill Pullman was great and I kinda liked him didn't feel like he was so bad, I mean he was bad but I still think there was something good there, very deep buried inside, somewhere. I did like seeing a few of the guest stars like John de Lancie and Nana Visitor

Next on my agenda is Doctor Who all seasons since it's reboot in 2005, I guess I'll have to take it slow though cause of school now.. Christmas break though! all Who

You've not seen the Dr. Who reboot? Enjoy, I have loved all of the seasons.

As for Torchwood, Miracle Day left me feeling a bit let down, but I hope the next one will be better. It showed promise, but it just didn't quite meet my expectations.

Helga
11-09-2011, 07:34 PM
here on the ice we don't get that many sci-fi or fantasy shows and hardly any from the UK. There are three tv stations here and they mainly have american sitcoms or dramas, most of the sci-fi shows I have watched I just found on the internet. the only sci fi I remember on tv were a few Star Trek seasons and a few Stargate sg1 seasons...

LadyLuck
11-12-2011, 08:35 PM
I just spend too much time watching videos online :) I watched all of Dr. Who from Netflix to get caught up as well as with Torchwood.