PDA

View Full Version : How did you find this site?

Stanislaw
11-20-2003, 11:21 PM
Hello all:
I was wondering how everyone came to this forum and why they were atracted to it.

For example...
I came here while I was researching the novel 1984. This sight came up and I noticed it was a forum. I looked around and I thought this was the most intelligent forum around, and that the people were rather friendly... so I joined.

den
11-20-2003, 11:51 PM
I found this site when I googled Huxley I believe... it was a while ago. Since joining I've made a few great friends and I hope to see it grow more and more. I love the changes to the layout too, Admins done a great job. ;)

Isagel
11-21-2003, 12:55 AM
I was trying to find what poem the lines "A thing of beauty is a joy forever" came from.

And now I´m here.

Stanislaw
11-21-2003, 12:58 AM
I just realised how weird the title seems, but what can I say. Greetings to those who have answered.

Blade
11-21-2003, 08:42 AM
i found this place when i was looking for somewhere to post an essay topic i had for english class, (see Julius Caesar in the Shakepeare section)

ihrocks
11-21-2003, 09:06 AM
I was looking for a place to talk to people with an interest in literature, and google came up with this site.

Wish I had a more colorful answer.

ihrocks

Blade
11-21-2003, 11:12 AM
i'd like to see a so called "colorful answer'

crisaor
11-21-2003, 03:40 PM
I forgot how I found this site. Must be getting old.. :(

Stanislaw
11-22-2003, 12:59 AM
Just checking in...

This is not a bad forum for literature, it is in fact one of the best.

Koa
11-23-2003, 06:53 AM
I was trying to find out if Virginia Woolf's 'To the Lighthouse' (which I needed for an exam) was available online or was still under copyright. I saw a forum here and thought of asking about it. That's why I chose such a crappy nickname, it was just the first thing that came to my mind, as I wasn't planning to ever visit here anymore :D Then I started coming to the forum every now and then, when I was really bored... until it grew on me, and I ended up with thousands of posts and an addiction to it :) :):)

Blade
11-23-2003, 02:05 PM
if by thousands of posts you mean 414

imthefoolonthehill
11-23-2003, 07:18 PM
I found this site with a google search for searchable version of 1984

imthefoolonthehill
11-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Our school has these laptops with wireless connections... while 'typing my paper' on 1984, I joined the forums out of either boredom or in hopes someone would do my homework for me...

DumbLikeAPoet
11-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by imthefoolonthehill
I found this site with a google search for searchable version of 1984

Indeed. I was looking for the quote that is my sig......

Jonus

Demona
11-24-2003, 04:26 PM
i was looking for some text online...i dont remember what it was though... thus, joined the forum...just in case :)

Jay
11-27-2003, 09:35 AM
I was looking for some info about John Milton for my paper...

Koa
11-27-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Blade
if by thousands of posts you mean 414

LOL...have i ever told you I'm not good at maths??? :D:D:D

Well, I meant a lot of posts...exaggeration is a rhetorical device ;)
(or maybe I really meant 'hundreds', who knows...;):D)

nicholasburrus
11-28-2003, 12:35 AM
I lke attention

Stanislaw
11-28-2003, 02:14 PM
I am back. How is everyone.

Jay
11-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Welcome back, and you really don't want to know. Sorry, a lot of steam...
How are YOU?

Stanislaw
11-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Fine thanks.:)

What seems to be the problem ms. Jay?, If I might be so bold to ask.

Jay
11-28-2003, 02:40 PM
You can be whatever you like Stan (if you don't mind me calling you Stan). Just got a little ... dunno, out of my usual posting mood maybe? Really don't know, call it blonde genes, teenager complexes, whatever you'd like. Or fits of cynicism mixed with sarcasm... and I'm pissed right now. Shoudln't have come here today. Sorry.

Stanislaw
11-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Don't be sorry. This is the best place to release your anger, generally I leave here feeling happier than when I arrived.

Lots Of people call me stan. I do not mind;)

Jay
11-28-2003, 02:54 PM
Goody. Well, before I came here I wasn't this bad, I dare to say I was in one of my HYPER moods... This time I'm gonna leave pissed. I just think someone has found my ouchy place... spot or whatever. Usually it's always a pleasure coming here. Maybe I'm just over-reacting or don't understand stuff ok... and REALLY am in the state of not caring now.

Stanislaw
11-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Ouch? Sarcasm hit me... lol. Every body has days like this. I suggest that you walk up to some one you don't know, say some thing weird to them, with a straight face, and then walk away. That is my cure for everything, except mad cow disease.

Jay
11-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Goody, I have to be a mad cow...

Stanislaw
11-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Don't Say that. That is not what I meant. Just generally animals with mad cow can't walk or talk because they collapse on the ground drooling. I don't think you would do that!

Jay
12-01-2003, 06:02 AM
Well, I do drool a lot :). There's this one Colonel... *drools*...
But I can walk I think, and talk... not good much with that... so it still leaves me a mad cow ;). LOL, now I noticed... since when do animals talk??? :) Oh yeah, sarcasm is a good thingy...

Stanislaw
12-01-2003, 09:15 PM
ANimals talk in disney land! The best place on the planet... not really, but they have talking mice.

Jay
12-02-2003, 01:25 PM
lol, and flea circuses and other funny thingies, right? :D

Stanislaw
12-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Yes sir! It is a greatish place.

Jay
12-04-2003, 02:38 PM
*that "sir" was just an expression, right Stan?... me being a female ;)... still :):D*

Stanislaw
12-04-2003, 11:35 PM
Yes it was, mam. lol. It is just an odd expression I use. If you have read my other posts, you will have noticed I am a bit odd.:D

Earthwriter
12-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Hi there...
I'm Earthwriter aka Dayna and I found this site because I received a notorious email (the second time) from Noble House Publishers and wanted to verify my suspicion that it's connected with poetry.com because I received notices from them too about my "wonderful poetry". I mean, my poetry is wonderful, but it just seemed too easy, so I checked them out and one of the hits/links brought me here. I'm glad I found it. It's nice to connect with other writers, literature enthusiasts and readers. I feel at home here. I just hope I can meet some who gravitate toward natural living and holistic and metaphysical writing, which is my genre and forte'/expertise.:) Thanks for creating such a great wonderful attractive site. I am grateful I found it.:)

Peace and Harmony,
earthwriter/Dayna:)

imthefoolonthehill
12-08-2003, 11:44 PM
question... what is metaphysical writing? Is it the writing that goes on in your head?

Or is it merely writing about metaphysical things....

Jay
12-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Hey Stan, I would never guess you're a little odd :D... but then so am I ;), so go figure :)

Stanislaw
12-09-2003, 10:45 PM
I don't think we're odd...Just special. :D

At least that is what the shrink sais...:D :D :D

Jay
12-11-2003, 01:45 PM
lol

IWilKikU
12-12-2003, 10:56 PM
I found this site when I had a presentation in a 1st year lit course that I have to take (even though this is my third year of college :mad: ). Anyways, I had this presentation on George from EM Forster's A Room With a View which sucked by the way. Anyways, I googled "A Room with a View George Character Analysis Forster" and this is what I got. The searchable version was key to my getting an A by the way. :D

azmuse
12-12-2003, 11:25 PM
found this site after checking out the gettysburg ntnl. park serv. site, which recommended reading the red badge of courage. didn't want to deal with deadlines at the library or buying more books when i'm about to move 3k miles.
yay!

Jay
12-13-2003, 10:43 AM
Congrats Kik :)

Stanislaw
12-17-2003, 09:43 PM
Cool, it seems the majority of people came here in search of literature.

Merry Christmass!

subterranean
12-18-2003, 10:53 PM
I found this forum when I was searching for the short stories by Guy de Maupassant, and I noticed that there's a forum also here! First thread i visited was the "is literature dead?" This is not a really too crowded forum, and so far I enjoy being in this forum :)

P.S. I mis-wrote the address once, instead of typing www.online-literature.com i wrote www.literature-online.com. I ended at this site (that sells many thing) which is now being offer for sell!

michela
12-02-2005, 02:03 PM
I've just found this forum .I was looking for anything about Virginia Woolf cause i need some informations for my degree , so i was on google and it came out.
i just want to say it's amazing to find other guys interested in literature as i am, i mean it, internet is so boring, and at uni. or with all my friends i can't spend a lot of time just talking about what i do love...so thanks to all the forum.
i hope to enjoy it

Pensive
12-02-2005, 02:11 PM
I saw someone accessing the forum. As I was interested in literature and General Chat(love to talk) I became a member of this forum.

Nightshade
12-02-2005, 02:24 PM
You really dont want to know this :D
I was bored and my sister said I should join a forum about wierd people like me who to read so after days of googling bored form books and bored form reading I finally googled Bored forum Literature and here I am
:D
told you you didnt want to know:D;)

NNoah3
12-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Nice to know Night!!! :D
You made me smile with your explanation :lol:

I look around this thread and I realized that Stan started it on November 2003. Two years ago!
Like most of all the people posting here I met this forum looking for the works of Alexandre Dumas. I read The Count Of Monte Cristo. I joined to the forum and I have been enjoying it since then.

Nightshade
12-02-2005, 02:49 PM
dumas *shudder* sorry Nnoah but eeeeeeeeek!!

papayahed
12-02-2005, 02:50 PM
I can't even remember why or how I joined this forum.

Scheherazade
12-02-2005, 02:54 PM
I was looking for a short story for one of my classes... Then noticed the Forum as well. This is the first Forum I have ever joined.

NNoah3
12-02-2005, 02:57 PM
dumas *shudder* sorry Nnoah but eeeeeeeeek!!
Like we said in Spanish: "Algún defecto tenía que tener" :lol: :lol:
In English will be: "Some flaw I must have" or "You know, I am not perfect" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nightshade
12-02-2005, 03:27 PM
I was looking for a short story for one of my classes... Then noticed the Forum as well. This is the first Forum I have ever joined.
I can do better than that;) this is the only forum Ive joined:p

starrwriter
12-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I can't even remember why or how I joined this forum.
Alzheimer's disease?

Jay
12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
That German who keeps hiding stuff around the house?

Themis
12-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Hah. I remember the first time I came across the site I was looking for the text of Dumas' "Ten Years Later" since I couldn't (and still can't) get my fingers on a printed version.
How exactly I got to the forum ... hm, I think I saw it, visited a few times and because I simply cannot look through a forum and NOT join, I joined. ;)

RobinHood3000
12-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Ticked off that one of my friends was duped (albeit with no harm done to anything but her dignity) by poetry.com a couple years after I was, I started looking for online anti-poetry.com testimonials and found myself here. Whoo!!

Riesa
12-02-2005, 04:59 PM
I've spent several years reading Goodnight Moon and Where the Wild things are to my kids, which are great books but left me a little malnourished so I decided to find an online lit class. A google search came back with a link for onlineliterature.com/forums. I started reading everyone's posts and promptly forgot about the lit class.

jakobin
12-02-2005, 05:13 PM
i was looking for things about pride and prejudice and thought the forum looked cool, so i joined. not the most interesting reason, but hey, im not going to lie now am i???

Darlin
12-04-2005, 04:47 AM
I'm another of those Dumas fans. I found the forum by googling for Alexandre Dumas and saw a post someone had written and I immediately had to put in my two cents. Then as I explored the site I realized this was a forum and I was hooked! :)

Virgil
12-04-2005, 05:34 AM
I get Shakespeare Sonnet-A-Day, a daily email of a Shakespeare sonnet, and at the bottom of the page it includes the following:

Check out our forums and discuss Shakespeare (and other topics) with other enthusiasts. http://www.online-literature.com/forums/ We have over 100,000 posts and over 8,000 members now.

Like a fool I clicked on the web site the other day or week, and now I've found a forum perfect for me. The rest is history.

samercury
12-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I was looking for an online version of Emma- needed to find quotes, I had just returned the book and the library was closed.....I googled it and it came up with the Lit website. Found out that there was a forum and joined.......now I'm addicted :

Kaltrina
12-05-2005, 05:54 AM
I was reading Jane Eyre and I was looking for the online version because it was easier to read like that in the office, and I found the literature website...it was the first time I was part of a forum and I loved it right away.. I still do. :D

baddad
12-05-2005, 11:41 PM
I visited this site a few times at the urging of a friend. All the little voices in my head except one urged me to join. The one dissenting voice told me to "Run as fast and as far as you can." But would I listen to reason? NOOOOOOOooooooo............

starrwriter
12-06-2005, 12:20 AM
I visited this site a few times at the urging of a friend. All the little voices in my head except one urged me to join. The one dissenting voice told me to "Run as fast and as far as you can." But would I listen to reason? NOOOOOOOooooooo............
HELP! I'm trapped in this forum and I can't find my way back to sanity.

RobinHood3000
12-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Tsk tsk...you should have taken the other pill...

rachel
01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I have not a clue in the world how I can upon this site. I have never cared a fig about such a thing nor chat rooms in general.
I was on Google looking something up and mistakenly came upon this site. The only reason I stayed was and go ahead and yuk it up-the colors looked like a library to me and I LOVE LIBRARIES. I read on a little,
hesitated, got really scared of Admin, he seemed like a combination of a robot and the principle I was most afraid of thru school, then I thought "why not"
the rest they say is history.

Virgil
01-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I have not a clue in the world how I can upon this site. I have never cared a fig about such a thing nor chat rooms in general.
I was on Google looking something up and mistakenly came upon this site. The only reason I stayed was and go ahead and yuk it up-the colors looked like a library to me and I LOVE LIBRARIES. I read on a little,
hesitated, got really scared of Admin, he seemed like a combination of a robot and the principle I was most afraid of thru school, then I thought "why not"
the rest they say is history.
Rachel - It posts like these--LOL--that make you so loved.

RobinHood3000
01-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Ditto.

Ya hear that, Admin? Perhaps you should adopt "Stay here in detention...I'll be back" as your catchphrase?

englshfrk
01-04-2006, 05:47 PM
I found this sight searching for an intelligent chat with someone other then a pervert from- well, let's just say somewhere I'm not interested in. When I'm researching at 8 in the morning I don't want to be hit on-at least not until my coffees kicked in-then I can have a witty reply!

rachel
01-05-2006, 07:42 PM
oh Virgil and Robin, I can actually feel my face go red. I was tired when I wrote that and now I am hideously sorry I did. I felt the same in grade ten when Mrs. Temple who was huge and wore these quiet foamy sort of shoes so we kids couldn't hear her when she came sailing down the hall to catch us doing something naughty-well one morning she came in and livid of face called us all a bunch of wilted vegetables and demanded to know who the evil child was that put an empty pop bottle on the top of one of the book shelves in the library. according to her it came crashing down when she bumped leaned against it and bonked her on the head.
Most of us kids had jobs or siblings to care for after school and we just couldn't get another detention. She stood there and hands on hips said we should all get a detention if the culprit did not fess up. I couldn't stand it so after what seemed an eternity I slowly raised my hand. everyone sighed and I got a month of having to come early in mornings to the library to assist her. I practically had to wear pampers I was so afraid of her. the others knew I would never do the deed and they all laughed and messed up my hair and all that jazz-my face went so red.
horrors and I only began to recover when i found out Mrs. Temple was replacing my piano teacher.----for good.

Virgil
01-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Another great story, Rachel. Little by little we are getting you to write you memoirs right on Lit Net. All you have to do is collect the posts and print it into a book.

RobinHood3000
01-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Chalk another one up for Virgil and Robin--the Memoir Hunters!

rachel
01-06-2006, 11:57 AM
oh brother. okay that is it, mum's the word. I shall talk about the weather and the sort of meat I got at the butchers. or probably not, there are after all vegetarians on this forum. I was one for years until....oh no I don't.
well it is a nice day outside, that I can see at any rate.

Nightshade
01-06-2006, 04:15 PM
No, the weather is strickly an English subject.
I was really suprised that people actually can talk for hours about the weather , I mean I though it was just a blown up steryotype but the English do it all the time :eek:
But I suppose they have cause to I mean, you know in films where they show london and one minute the sky is clear the next out of nowher its poring its really really like that.

:eek:
humm I need a smilie with an umberella....

hera-on-earth
03-01-2006, 09:35 AM
was looking for some poems by the metaphysical poets at google.....found this forum, liked it quite a lot and joined it immediately!!!! ever since ive been hooked onto it....though it hasnt been very long!!! i love this forum!!!!

cl154576
08-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Just a random question. Myself, I was searching for translation recommendations and I kept coming across these forums. Then when I joined I realized the book discussions were years old; instead, the first thing I saw was "Are women stupid?" (G L Wilson).

Delta40
08-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Good question! I used to subscribe to a depression forum which had a poetry room. One day I googled poetry sites because I realised I was really enjoying the experience of writing and I found Lit-Net. I liked it because its format was the same as the depression forum which made it easier for me to click over. I have never looked back!

Stanislaw
08-05-2011, 10:35 PM
I came here while I was researching the novel 1984. This sight came up and I noticed it was a forum. I looked around and I thought this was the most intelligent forum around, and that the people were rather friendly... so I joined.

:D Here is an ancient similarily themed thread... http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794

I would be interested in reading some of the newer ones :)

Maximilianus
08-06-2011, 02:04 AM
I signed in a few days after a friend on another forum recommended this place and invited me to join. The shape of things and the course of events dramatically changed ever since http://smiles.kolobok.us/artists/just_cuz/JC_thinking.gif
Curious is that this friend backed out a few months after I jumped in, but he never said why http://smiles.kolobok.us/standart/dntknw.gif

Mutatis-Mutandis
08-06-2011, 03:38 AM
I searched "literature forums" in Google because I wanted to join a literature forum. Good story, I know.

JuniperWoolf
08-08-2011, 05:57 AM
I searched "literature forums" in Google because I wanted to join a literature forum. Good story, I know.

Haha, same here.

Lokasenna
08-08-2011, 11:55 AM
I happened upon it through some random Google trawlings, and decided I liked the look of the place!

yuka
08-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I googled "poetry forum" then came out first this site

kiki1982
08-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Yup, another one here.

I was lonely in my hobby and had no-one to talk to about books, at least not in depth, so I also googled forums literature and came here.

I instantly saw that this was home :drool5:.

But I think I firstly went to the Jane Eyre-forum, then got slagged off by someone and then only discovered there was something else on this forum but special ones dedicated to certain writers... Then I discovered General Literature, and only recently I discovered the chat section... Weird, I know.

I'm a very serious girl (:D).

faithosaurus
08-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I typed "The Stranger" into google to find a discussion about the book, and signed up to write my perspective. I looked around some more...and now I'm here, haha.

Varenne Rodin
08-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I was looking for Abdo Rinbo, AKA Bobby Burns.

Basil
08-08-2011, 02:27 PM

He was banned from this site in early 2004, after threatening to drive to East Lansing and burn down the Admin's house, among other things.

Varenne Rodin
08-08-2011, 02:55 PM
He was banned from this site in early 2004, after threatening to drive to East Lansing and burn down the Admin's house, among other things.

I know those types of things have to be taken seriously, but I'm certain he was just amusing himself. He would never burn down anyone's house. I had a small hope he might return with a different name. We were friends for a long time, a long time ago.

With or without Abdo Rinbo, there's good conversation to be had here. I'm not sad I joined in. :)

Stanislaw
08-10-2011, 12:18 AM

Now there is a name I have not heard in a long time!

He was banned... came back as Blue Star... was banned again I believe, and I have not heard of him since... He did contribute some pretty amusing stuff!