PDA

View Full Version : Awful book!

Kayla
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I am going into Honors English next year, my first in High School. I was assigned to do a dialog journal for this book. It was the most boring work I've ever read in my life. I am not into this type of novel, and it really didn't work for me. The plot was original, I'll give it that, but it was just so BORING. I hope to never read something this sleep inducing again.<br>

ChicagoMichael
02-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Kayla,

Do yourself a favor and try reading it again when you're older. I believe that you have missed out on an experience that so many millions have enjoyed for more than 100 years.

As an honors student you are certainly intelligent enough to understand the plot however, I believe you lack the life experience to truly appreciate the fear and helplessness depicted in each character. I am nearly a half a century old and I was anything but bored as I read this story. I put myself in the shoes of the people of that time and ignored my knowledge of today's technology. I allowed myself to believe that life on Mars was possible, just as the people of that time must have believed.

This type of story may not be for you, but it is so well written and so universally accepted as the definitive story of invasion (Alien or not), you owe it to yourself to give it another try when the time is right.

asdf
04-30-2006, 11:01 PM
I believe that reading is more fun when u do it on your own time. I am a senior in HS and looking back on books ive read....they arent so bad. If reading a book for a class, you have dealines :rage: to write things about it and its no fun to HAVE to read it by a certain time.

Boingo
04-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Are you sure you were reading the same book I was Kayla? You obviously couldn't have been, since the book I read, War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells, certainly wasn't boring.

When I first read War of the Worlds online at Project Gutenburg, I was riveted, and read the entire text through in less than a day. I have since gone out and bought a physical copy of the book, because I enjoyed it so much.

The book I read wasn't boring. The book I read was filled with horror and suspense. The book I read depicted the fall of society, and the chaos that ensues. The book I read had a man struggling to survive in a war zone, and being trapped for two weeks in a ruined building next to an alien military stronghold, starving and unable to escape. The book I read had hopelessness and despair. The book I read had mighty battles against impossible odds. The book I read even had a thrilling navel battle with the crew of a lone warship sacrificing their lives to save the lives of thousands of refugees fleeing from ruthless attackers.

Perhaps you read a different book than I did Kayla. Perhaps you accidentally got hold of a different War of the Worlds, by some other author, like Melvin Burkowitz, grade 3 student and amateur bug collector. That's the only thing I can think of, because if the book you read was boring, then it certainly wasn't the book I read.

<<EDIT: A friend of mine, whom I directed to this post, Told me that the wording I chose made it appear that I was red faced mad when I wrote it. I am adding this note to assure anyone reading this that this was not the case. Those who know me from other fora are well aware that I tend to have my tongue quite firmly in my cheek when writing this kind of thing with no actual malice intended. In other words, please do not mistake what I have said for genuine bile. It is not.>>

<<OFF TOPIC: I am not a fan of leet speak, but please take a look at what I saw when I came to check this topic today: http://www.doomlegends.com/misc/leet.jpg >>

Mr.Snob
04-28-2007, 03:35 PM
The fact that TWOTW has enjoyed such fame since its original publication bewilders me. With the exception of a few clever passages to ponder upon, it is a wearisome book. The story unfolds inconsistently and is crammed with loose ends, for instance: some characters are just forced in and then banished from the chronicle; stray events are mentioned but have no effect whatsoever besides leading to dark corners; the shift of perspective seemed too rash; the casual solution to retrieve the planet from the invaders, foolish.

Concluding, TWOTW, along its flaws, is a milestone for the sci-fi genre, wether you praise or despise it, period.