PDA

View Full Version : How are secrets portrayed in Jane Eyre?

Dinosaurrr
07-06-2011, 09:02 AM
I have an assignment to do soon, and the topic of discussion is how secrets are presented in both Jane Eyre and Atonement.
In this case, I need help with Jane Eyre. Other than Rochester's secret wife, could anyone elaborate on that?

Thankyou! :)

L.M. The Third
07-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Rochester's strange form of courtship should furnish you with an interesting case. He hints at much during his initial interviews with Jane, than, rather shockingly, reveals the story of a past mistress to the virginal Jane. Here what he actually does reveal is fascinating. It would seem he has confessed to her, but then the mystery of who or what is in the upper story is increased when he is nearly burnt in his bed. He then proceeds to act with duplicity in courting Blanche Ingram, but all the while Jane knows that he does not really love Blanche. His decision to assume a woman's disguise is an attempt to ferret out Jane's secrets, by seeming more her equal, without calling attention to his own secrets and reasons for questioning her so.

Those are just a few areas you could explore.

Dinosaurrr
07-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Thannkyou! That was very helpful, but I do need to fill out an entire essay...have you any more? :)